Ignition Switch replacement

Finally done it!😁😎

The procedure didn't start too well, could I get the steering wheel off, yes but after nearly an hour!  My problem was the centre boss with the air bag would not come away, I'd love to tell you about some magical way that I finally discovered, but there wasn't one, just plain old perseverance and a load of swearing. Wheel outer came off easily to reveal this (1st photo, sorry I've forgotten how to insert pics) 

Next round of swearing!  I had to buy a new three legged puller ready for this, it refused to work, the toes were too rounded to get enough purchase upon the collar, the lip can't be 2mm deep, I tried all sorts to get it to work but it wasn't having it.  In the end I resorted to using a 4" pair of mole grips (rounded jaws) wound as tight as possible onto the collar behind the lip and the using the puller with just two legs.  I think I got lucky here and off the collar came (pics 2 &3).

I removed the interference fit screw, same 4" mole grips, and with a good bit of wiggling the barrel came off (pic4) this revealed the fixing for the switch (pic5).  It may well be that it might just be possible to undo that bolt (note: it is a small cross-headed bold and not a screw)  from behind, you can see a channel in the barrel casting leading to the bolt, it's a hindsight thing and frankly I'm not convinced it'll work as I seem to remember that it's in at a bit of an angle.

Anyway that's it, I put the new switch in, refitted the barrel, replaced a minimum of wires, reconnected the battery and she fire up first ask!

Hope this is of use to someone?

I'll rename this thread to 'fitting new ignition, switch 2000 Lupo' if I can if not can I get an admin to do it for me please?

Any question please don't hesitate to ask, unless you're going to ask me to do it for you, then please hesitate at length!

Ian

IMG_20200905_114822.jpgIMG_20200905_130355.jpgIMG_20200905_130408.jpgIMG_20200905_130424.jpgIMG_20200905_130442.jpg

Edited by Ian Daly
  • Thanks 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.