Hi all,

I recently installed the "free floating screen"-style aftermarket "Halo 9" radio from Alpine (ilx-F903d) and I thought I should share some pics from the installation. I'm very happy with it!

I wanted a Carplay and Android Auto enabled radio for the GTI but always felt that the 2-din screens were never bigger than my phone enough to justify the cost. The standard radio location is also way too low for the eyes. This radio has a great 9" touchscreen that actually sits way higher than the standard radios and so it makes it a joy to use, and much safer because of the size of text and buttons.

As you can see the installation uses only a 1-din slot, which leaves the space underneath free for a storage cubby. Yes you lose quite a lot of the central vents air, but I think of it as having a Up! interior :D The hazard light switch is also fully covered by the screen but still reachable with your thumb. The height is of course adjustable for those who would still prefer more air and easier access to that switch.

As drawbacks I'd point out to the not so stellar resolution of the display, although while driving it's not very noticeable. Also the screen can be quite reflective depending on the angle (it's also adjustable).

But all in all I love it and I just installed another one on my second car (MX-5 NC).

20190309_010336680_iOS.jpg

20190309_010336734_iOS.jpg

20190309_010336632_iOS.jpg

20190309_010336578_iOS.jpg