Starting issues

Furiokid

Had an issue with my Lupo GTI starting recently. The engine has covered 130k miles. When I bought it 8-9 months ago the starter was sticking (I know common issue) so I replaced it and also fitted a new battery at the same time.

During the summer, on the odd occasion when the engine got hot, and it had been switched off, when restarted it wouldn't start, as though battery flat/starter sticking. I pulled all the earths and wiring going to the starter and fuse box in the engine bay and cleaned them and greased and the problem appeared to disappear.

Recently as the weather has got colder the problem reappeared but doing it from cold, but if the key is held it the starter will pick speed up and then the engine fires. On Saturday it finally wouldn't start unless jumped so exchanged my battery as appeared to be faulty with a bad cell. Engine fires straight up now with a new battery, however I've noticed it still has a slight lazy start when you first go to start it?

I've checked the alternator and it's charging at 14v idling and then 13.6v with the lights on so that's working. I know ignition switches are supposed to be common problem but it almost seems like a lazy starter from cold. I was going to check the wiring again but thought I'd post up in case anyone has had similar issues with theirs?

When fitting the starter motor, did you happen to notice the power output of the old one and the new one, as the Gti relies on a higher powered alternator. Also, having a five or a six speed gearbox indicates a higher or lower starter motor output, mainly on the earlier GTi models. That may be where the issue lies, if the wrong one was fitted.

I had an issue with corroision between the solenoid and the motor that gave similar symptoms,

You may have some damage or corroision on the main power cable to the engine bay minis suffer from this a lot.

Easy check is the cranking voltage on the starter compared with cranking voltage on the battery shoud be the same

Mines a 2002, and its a 6 speed gearbox. There were no ratings on the old starter motor when I removed it to compare it to be honest. It's still got a warranty on it and I'm tempted to see about exchanging it in case it's a faulty starter on the solenoid side. At the same time I can check what the ratings are of the starter.

The problem is very intermittent, today it's been absolutely fine. Did it every day from cold before I replaced the battery last week and it's only done it a couple of times since. Going to monitor for a while.

I need to reseal the rocker cover as well as noticed no.3 spark plug covered in oil when I serviced it a while ago as suspect it's leaking from the cover, noticed it smokes a little on startup from cold which I'm hoping is that. Will obviously change the cambelt, water pump and aux belt whilst I'm at it