1.0 to 1.6 GTI Conversion - Gearbox questions

Hi all, 

first of all let me start by saying that I'm aware there are lots of threads on the GTI conversion.

I've just bought a 1.6 GTI engine for an upgrade from the 1.0. 

Specifically what is different?

• Mounts are the same
  • Loom isn't an issue, nor is ECU. Going with a DTA ecu.

Questions (Which despite reading around on I'd like to clarify): 

1. Are the driveshafts different or can the 1.0 be used (I think they are different)
  2. Can the 1.6 gti engine be paired with the 1.0 gearbox, the short ratios would be quite nice for what the car is being used for. I think there is probably some issues with strength though ? Or alternatively what gearboxes can be fitted (apart from the obvious 5/6 speeds from the GTI)

Anything else?

Thanks 

Edited by cj1

I'm unsure if the splines on the hubs will be different between the 1.0 and the GTI, meaning that you'd need custom shafts (I doubt it as you'd assume manufacturers would keep the parts the same to keep cost down.) If the hubs are the same then normal GTI Shafts will do (I've got some that I can sell if you like).

With regard to the gearbox, it won't fit purely because the outer bolt pattern on the GTI block (I am also assuming we're talking Lupo GTI engine, not polo GTI) is different to accommodate for the 6 speed gearboxes that were made for it. Someone like Rich would be able to clarify though.

With regard to the ratios Between boxes, the 5 speed GTI has a 1200 rpm drop between gears iirc and the 6 speed has a 1000 rpm drop between gears, the final ratio of the top gears are pretty much identical, the only advatage of the 6 speed is that the Rev drop is so small.

How some of this helps!