Smoking lupo

Suspiciousminds

Took the lupo on a run yesterday for about 2 hours, now, on the way back she started to pump out blue smoke in particular when accelerating.

I've had the car a couple of months now with no issues - i use it daily but its a very short journey.

Anyways when i got home it indeed was pumping out blue smoke when i use the throttle.

She's not overheated and the temp guage usually sits in the centre although yesterday it never moved off zero.

Started it this morning and the smoke was the usual whiteish colour you get on startup on a cool morning.

The only thing i've done different is used higher octane fuel on a couple of occassions.

Its a 16v 1.4,

Any ideas

First thing I would do is drop your oil immediately. In fact, when was the last time you did it? Blue smoke is usually early signs of worn valve stem seals, although if it's continuous as you seem to be describing, it might be worn or broken piston rings! Check your oil dipstick are you burning lots off?

Unfortunately, if it's either of the two, it could be a pretty big job. I think you might be able to do the valve stem seals without removing the head though. Can't say for sure, someone with a 1.4 16v can tell you though. If it's the piston rings, then you might as well just rebuild the engine or drop in a new one!

....or you live with. You accept it's an old car with not the best engine in the world, you use it like you normally would, monitor your oil levels, and drive it. If it gets worse, you then decide whether to scrap (or sell for parts) the car, or drop in a new engine at a later time. You could even use an oil fortifier or a thicker oil in general, seeing as the engine is toast anyway.

Personally, I would do the second. The 1.4 16v aren't worth much anyway if you ask me, so it just isn't worth the money/time.

Edited by Skezza