EPC Light?

jparkes43

Hello, so my Lupo (1.4 16v 75HP) drive perfectly normal 99% of the time.... now occasionally i will have my EPC light come on and this doesn't go off until you switch off and switch on again, it doesn't happen all the time. only once or twice has it done a little jump when the light is on. so i was asking if anyone has had this problem and what could be the issue, or if its nothing to worry about (like the normal check engine light as i know thats a common VW problem of that age) any thing that may help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Yes you should get it checked out. The EPC light could mean anything though, it just means the engine management computer detected a problem.

Is your Emissions light coming on too?

You'll need to get someone with the laptop and software to decode the error message for you and see what needs doing. Garages usually charge £20 if you can't find someone local who can do it for you. Alternatively buy the cable from eBay and install the free version of VCDS and check the error yourself.

I had a problem with the MAP sensor and it turned out to be the brake servo vacuum pipe needed replacing.

so just out of interest, what does the EPC light stand for or mean, is it like a secondary check engine light? or is it something different. but i will get it checked out and read as soon as i can.

james

Forgot toe mention the EPC light can be as simple as a brake light being broken

Normally fuse actually, but yeah. First thing I'd do is have someone go behind your car and check your brake lights. If they're out, then it's either fuse or brake light switch. It doesn't normally come on for just one brake light being out, but I think it can come on for both....

ok i will do because they are important but wouldn't it be on all the time then? and it also wont explain the occasional jump? but thanks for the great information

james

Yes, usually on all the time for brake lights. It could be your throttle position sensor if it's jumping.

Be worth getting it plugged in.