OEM exhaust?

coopersim

Are you seriously recommending someone fixes their car with a bean can, and also saying it's a quarter of the work? I assume you mean to use a bean can and make some kind of sleeve. Not much use when lupo exhausts normally fail at the welded connections, or the outer layers of the backbox start peeling off and the casing cracks.

Just because my Lupo's are 'old' I'm not planning on scrapping them any time soon, so why would I want an exhaust fixed with a bean can. I want to fix and repair them properly. OEM parts are great, and economy parts from TPS really are quite good value. I think coopersim is right, the TPS parts are a no brainer.

Never had one fail on a weld or on the outer layers of the backbox, but there we go. Exhausts fail all the time though, and it's all down to your own view of the vehicles worth. You have a GTI and a TDI. Of course I wouldn't recommend a bean can fix on either of those. For one, they're actually worth keeping, but on a rapey 1 litre or an SDI? They're worth **** all (even good ones) so why not? You don't know what's going to happen 6-12 months down the line anyway! Your views on the world and cars may well be different and your circumstances may have changed.

And yes, I'm saying it probably took me 10 minutes, if that, to fix mine up. I mean how long do you really think it'd take? It probably took me longer to drop my car on axle stands seeing as I was talking to my old man about what mobile phone to have....

Correct, you wrap the can round and make a sleeve. Use 3 jubilee clips for strength. Only after you've used plenty of gun gum to fill the hole and perhaps a layer of aluminium wrap. As I said, it's not necessarily a permanent fix but it's a cheap fix and considering these cars ARE old (no matter how you try and justify it) there's half a chance your car is on borrowed time anyway! Ultimately, it's not the same as bodging your suspension. For a small to medium sized hole, there's no reason not to use the bean can fix. If in 2 or 3 years you still have the car and the exhaust gets worse? Then you can replace with a new one or whatever.

There's nothing wrong with using the bean can fix as a semi permanent solution, I assure you. As for repairing them properly? Is that some kind of dick measuring thing? "I only use real OEM parts on my Lupo". I drive mine to work (probably a lot more miles than you) and I hammer it pretty hard. We all love Lupo's but my love is the fact it's a cheap car (good fuel economy) that doesn't want to die, not some misplaced loyalty over the fact they're this or that. I totally respect you replacing all your GTi parts with OEM, that's fine... like I said, a GTI is actually worth something. If my car was actually for sale, you could probably buy it for a packet of fags and a pint of cheap lager. CooperSim's is probably newer and less miles than mine, but it's still a 1.0 which means ultimately, it ain't worth much and to be honest, the desperation to piss away money on cars that aren't worth anything is something I'll never understand (it's up their with Barrying imo). By the way, I don't include stuff like replacing your shock absorbers in that, because ultimately, that's a job that has to be done right, otherwise your car will not be safe. I'm speaking about a very specific situation here, or more to the point those that don't require you to spend loads for the sake of it. When you get your creaking check straps? Do you replace them (again) or do you use the £1.20 brass bush that everyone has actually decided is a BETTER option than OEM? #JustWondering

Ultimately, my Lupo is a car, but I have no emotional attachment to it. It's a mechanical tool and more importantly, a method getting to work and back. Yes I do plenty of jobs on it and mods, but I do these for fun and to keep my brain ticking over. I do it because I actually enjoy doing it. I am painfully aware that pissing £115< on mine, an SDI closing in on 150k miles when there's a cheaper option available, is just plain daft. Like I said, we're not talking suspension or brakes here. We're talking an exhaust.

To sum my views on this whole thing up, I find it incredibly bizarre that people will hammer me for a 'bean can' exhaust fix that's probably just as effective (short term, 4 years on my Pug 106) as fitting a new one, but are all big thumbs up to a set of £140 pile of **** suspension downupgrade from a company nobody has ever heard of. Mind you, I'm not sure you can fix a knackered subframe with a baked bean can. :rolleyes:

This:

6827BF04-99C3-4C41-8C27-CA29B6C70B7E_zpsMight have been beyond a baked bean can?

I'll let you off :P That's one hell of a ****ing hole man and a new backbox will last you pretty well!! If I'd known it was that big to begin with, I'd have probably not suggested a bean can fix. Still, I'd have just fitted a straight pipe.

Raspy 1.0 Litre Lupo ftw.

Edited by Skezza