Tried to copy a key and failed...

mk2

Hi all, I need some advice.

I have a 'plug in tool' to talk to the immobiliser which works fine on most VAG cars, but when I tried to have a go on my Lupo I got stuck.

For starters, you must have at least one original working key that you can start the engine with. I do. It's my last key. The one and only, so I bought two new transponder chips and had a couple of keys cut by a local locksmith. All good so far.

Plug in power up, all fine. I can extract the PIN code built in to my dash, but when it comes to adding new keys it tells me that I need a code between 0 and 65536. The PIN code I read out is a 4 digit value in hex (like A7D2) which I converted to decimal (42962 in this example). Punched the number in, but it threw me out say it's the wrong one. huh?!?

Anyone else had any luck doing this or does this mean I need to go to the stealers to program the two keys... (which they'll probably say no to, as they didn't supply them!).