Dog in back of Lupo

danoid

Right the other day I removed the back seats, but then noticed the quite big chunk of metal where the seats slot into to (middle of car)

This obviously no good for mr pooch, as it looks incredibly painful if knocked into. The only way is to remove that, but it's welded into chassis and no way am I doing that.

The next option is put the seats back in, but from what I remember, even when the seats are laid down it's not 100% flush from normal boot to the back of the seats? I'm sure there is a ledge as such of a few inches.

Does anyone know the length and width of the lupo with seats down, to the back of the front seats fully extended back?

Was thinking of making a little construction of wood, to raise it up so it's flush then buy two cot mattresses and hopefully it'll fit somehow.

I know I could just get my old seats down from the loft and measure, but the misses will yell at me to get the xmas decs down again. It almost ended in blood when putting the seats in the loft to start with!

Edited by danoid

Wow, what sort of precious pooch do you have?

Ghillie...

7472165630_fa2eea96d1_c.jpg

...yes, you Ghillie; used to travel in the back of the Arosa and Lupo (before the Polo Dune) with the back seats down with no worries at all.

Just layer it with closed cell foam and get a pad for the back.

haha, if it looks comfortable for me it'll be alright for the dog.

Will be exactly the same size as your flat coat retriever, but ours is a golden retriever.

I suppose it doesn't need to be that comfortable, as he/she will only be in there for 10 minutes most at a time during weekend. I say he/she as we are going through the adoption route, taking yonks!

I used to put a generic mesh dog guard between the front and back.

It used to work loose after a while, but if one kneels with all ones weight on the back of the back seat in the lowered position, then assembles\mounts the guard, it stays put pretty well with a piece of molded foam I got from work covering the lower half so Ghillie couldn't get under it.

• 1 month later...

Hope you don't mind but rather than start a new topic I figured my question would fit in here. New lupo owner and I have 2 border collies so they are either going to be on the back seat with a cover or the better option will be back seats down furniture foam in the back and a washable throw. The question goes to Silver, did you find those uv shades help keep the temps down and as far as the mesh guard is it one of those which is mesh top to bottom or just with the upper mesh and the lower barred.

Cheers

The shades really work well, I also have them in the Polo Dune.

The grill which I put behind the front seats, with the rears down, was only a half height, but I used some closed cell foam (actually the remains of a "puppy wrecked" boot liner) cable tied to the uprights to fill the space between the seats and up to the bottom of the grill. Sure you could use cardbard or similar.

If you take the bottom of the rear seats out, which takes about 2 minutes, the backs fit flusher, though there is still a lip.

I still have it in the shed made up; if you lived closer you could come take it away.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the offer but yeah I think that may be a bit of a treck, coming from a car with aircon to non was a bit of a concern, the car im picking up does have the opening rear windows which will help but ill definitly be giving these screens a try as well :thumbsup: .

Explanation was perfect and now im thinking about it a heavy duty fabric fastened along the lowest horizontal bar and to the verticals then pushed under the foam should stop them coming through.

thanks again.