Is this the temperature sensor??

Tying to change over my temp sensor today

Is this the temp sensor. The one to the left plugging in or is it one of the bunch to the right of that?

photobucket.com/user/tim_evans/media/49e11e3d-7eaf-47d8-b397-b109096b87f0.jpg.html]49e11e3d-7eaf-47d8-b397-b109096b87f0.jpg

And is this the right sensor to replace it?

F536771D-15B3-460C-B7C0-D668D9FE7425.jpg

Do I need to disconnect the battery to change this?

Thanks

Yes, it's the green one on the left in that first picture.

You don't need to disconnect the battery, just make sure that the engine is COLD. Coolant will start to come out when you pull that old temp sensor off, and it will burn your hands if its hot.

If you are quick you won't loose much coolant, but buy some just in case.

Right. I've replaced the original. Lost some fluid but that's been topped up.

I've replaced it but I'm not sure the new one has gone far enough in. It's not working anyway so I'm assuming that it needs to go further.

Going to wait for the engine to cool then see if I can push it in further.

Is there any way to check its in far enough/that its working? Would it work and send the temp straight away after replacement or does anything need to be reset?

Thanks for all help

Ok I definitely did this the wrong way round. Took out the who,e thing before disconnecting. I mean its back in but I could have done it a lot easier.

If anyone else is reading this wandering how to do it I found this which I wish I'd watched before....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0OxA11P_vk

It's fine doing it the way he done it, but the problem I had is the old washer got stuck, so it all drained out by the time I figured what the problem was. Not a biggy as coolant should be replaced every 2 years anyway

If you release pressure from expansion tank and seal it tight again, you shouldn’t loose that much coolant.

Sealing the expansion tank tight will create a slight vacuum there when coolant starts to flow out.

As you can see, there is also a spare spot for second temp. sensor. I put one sensor in there too,

so in case of sensor failure, you could just switch the connector from one to another sensor.

If you release pressure from expansion tank and seal it tight again, you shouldn’t loose that much coolant.

Sealing the expansion tank tight will create a slight vacuum there when coolant starts to flow out.

As you can see, there is also a spare spot for second temp. sensor. I put one sensor in there too,

so in case of sensor failure, you could just switch the connector from one to another sensor.

Where is this spare spot?

I could do with having both in if this Is a legit option as they both seem to be temperamental.

Tying to change over my temp sensor today

Is this the temp sensor. The one to the left plugging in or is it one of the bunch to the right of that?

photobucket.com/user/tim_evans/media/49e11e3d-7eaf-47d8-b397-b109096b87f0.jpg.html]49e11e3d-7eaf-47d8-b397-b109096b87f0.jpg

And is this the right sensor to replace it?

Do I need to disconnect the battery to change this?

Thanks

BTW, is that your car? If so, it looks like your battery isn't secured correctly, the metal plate looks like it's not even touching