lupo 1.4 turbo running ko3

Anthony Gaulter

hi I have a lupo 1.4s with a ko3 turbo on it, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator up to 5bar, manual boost controller, front mount intercooler, spaced out spark plugs, and going to get lupo gti injectors and a new ecu when I find one, so I am looking at lowering the compression ratio on the engine it is at the standard 10.5 to 1 I have been told it needs to be 9 to 1 is the right? and how big of a shim will I need or can I put 2 gas kits in?

To lower the compression properly, you can fit lower comp pistons, or have them machined down (depending on the vag pistons), you can also have metal/alloy removed from the head around the inlet & exhaust valves by a pro. Other options are custom made copper head gaskets to the thickness you require (not cheap but probably cheaper than the machine work route).

The bodge way.... Double gaskets.... It does work, however its looked down upon usually. My friend has used the double gasket thing several times, as he doenst really do anything properly, however it can work but will never be as good as enginnering work... He ran upto 250bhp on standard gaskets doubled, and then 388bhp with the ptoper pistons, same engine just a larger turbo when he decided to do it properly... (the gaskets never failed) His started as a standard zetec engine converted to turbo, then rwd...

The other thing to note with double gaskets, your cambelt could prove to be a tad harder to fit... i know it was on the ka, but that was due to having to run a home made pully to get the water pump to spin the correct way.

29550810152661287900254.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by mad-modz

Also just to note, are you running a wideband afr? Because then you can fine tune your fuel/boost ratio and see if you really need to drop the compression? You can run low PSI fine on a standard engine something like 5, with upped fuel pressure (ive done it on the older vauxhall 2litre 16v 20xe 10.8:1 on standard ecu management). If your talking a bar of boost etc, then as above really, proper machine work or gaskets

Cool thanks well don't think I will have any fuel and air problems as I have got it all on manual controllers but its just the spacing of the head I don't know went to a remap place and they said they could only get 0.5 bar max so now want to lower the completion they said get it to 9:1 and that would be good for a hard remap but I know need to know how big of a shim I need. Some guy on her told me I would need a 1.2mm shim but don't know how he worked that out?

If your looking for a head gasket to lower the compression ratio google ferriday enginering I'm pretty sure they do a gasket for your engine

Happy to help and good luck

Edited by dubsy