transplants and mot`s

chie

you need to register with the DVLA saying what engine it is and i *think* the engine number and then they can judge it from there as to what the emissions should be mate

As long as the emissions are within the limits for the year of the vehicle then it will pass.

Mine is a 1981 Golf with a 2001 20vt and has no problems passing even with out a cat...... ;)

Your local council will have an MOT station for all the emergancy services vehicles. Take your car to this MOT station and you wont be ripped off by a mechanic whos on the make.

You will have to declare your engine to the DVLA, and then youll get a new V5 logbook and the data will go onto the DVLA database.

Your local council will have an MOT station for all the emergancy services vehicles. Take your car to this MOT station and you wont be ripped off by a mechanic whos on the make.

You will have to declare your engine to the DVLA, and then youll get a new V5 logbook and the data will go onto the DVLA database.

So you're saying councils aren't on the make too?... first I've heard of it! :lol:

With regards to engine swaps, if you put in a non-standard engine (e.g a vauxhall lump in a VW) you will need an engineers report too, to the tune of about £75. However if you put a 'standard' engine in (e.g a GTi engine in a 1.0 lupo) then all you have to do is re-classify it with the DVLA and MOT it.

My land rover recently went from 2.5l 4-pot to 3.5l V8, all home done heath robinson like, but because it was available with a V8 any way it just needed an MOT!

Edited by TomLS

So you're saying councils aren't on the make too?... first I've heard of it! :lol:

They will not carry out repair work, therefore they have nothing to gain by failing you. If they fail you, you can have your free retest within so many days.

It's quite a well known fact, suprised you diddnt know this TBH

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=119

No I didn't know about it, but it certainly is interesting! I wasn't contradicting you, its merely that my experience of councils isn't what you would call brilliant...

Edited by TomLS

No I didn't know about it, but it certainly is interesting! I wasn't contradicting you, its merely that my experience of councils isn't what you would call brilliant...

Me neither, I hit a pothole and it put an egg in my tyre and my tracking out. Couldn't claim for it because the pothole was unreported.

Council tax, no more free parking in town.