VW Gamma 4 Radio - instructions needed

Hi,

Just bought the older Gamma 4 radio off eBay. Thought it was a bargain but without a manual this may not be true.

Does anyone have instructions on how to enter the security code into the unit?

I always liked the Gamma units in the Passat and Golf and now realise that I have bought the older one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jules

Switch radio unit on.

"SAFE" appears on the digital display.

After approx. 3 seconds "1000" appears on the display.

With the help of station buttons 1 to 4 enter code number printed on radio card. Use button 1 to input the first digit of the code number, button 2 to input the 2nd digit and so on.

Then either press the station search rocker switch -1- or the manual tune rocker switch -2- for longer than 2 seconds. Release button.

If you have entered the correct code the current tuned frequency will appear after a short "learning phase". During this pause the local stations with the strongest signals will be stored in the memory and can be called up.

When the ignition key is withdrawn the LED on lower left of the radio must flash. The radio is ready to operate if the LED flashes and the anti-theft coding is activated.

Head-unit.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

I take it you do have the code?

Edited by Tigz

Switch radio unit on.

"SAFE" appears on the digital display.

After approx. 3 seconds "1000" appears on the display.

With the help of station buttons 1 to 4 enter code number printed on radio card. Use button 1 to input the first digit of the code number, button 2 to input the 2nd digit and so on.

Then either press the station search rocker switch -1- or the manual tune rocker switch -2- for longer than 2 seconds. Release button.

If you have entered the correct code the current tuned frequency will appear after a short "learning phase". During this pause the local stations with the strongest signals will be stored in the memory and can be called up.

When the ignition key is withdrawn the LED on lower left of the radio must flash. The radio is ready to operate if the LED flashes and the anti-theft coding is activated.

Head-unit.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

I take it you do have the code?

Thanks for the excellent and authoratitive answer. Unfortunately, I have the previous version of this radio which I think is called Gamma 4. The code also did not appear as I had hoped so a bit stuck at the moment. Any help gratefully received.

Instructions for a 1998 Golf Gamma headunit

On new radio units the anti-theft coding is not active.

The electronic anti-theft system only becomes active after entering the correct code number.

Notes:

Each radio unit has its own code number.

If a radio unit is replaced the code number for the replacement unit must be used.

The customer must be informed that the code number has changed.

Switch radio unit on.

Press buttons TP and TA simultaneously until "1000" appears in the display. Release buttons.

Then press buttons TP and TA simultaneously again and hold down until "SAFE" appears on the frequency display. Release buttons, shortly afterwards a frequency will automatically appear.

If that one is wrong this is the later 1998 Gamma instructions.

On new radio units the anti-theft coding is not active.

The electronic anti-theft system only becomes active after entering the correct code number.

Notes:

Each radio unit has its own code number.

If a radio unit is replaced the code number for the replacement unit must be used.

The customer must be informed that the code number has changed.

Switch radio unit on.

The unit automatically displays "SAFE" and then "1000". There is no need to operate any buttons.

Then depress and hold the right-hand side of the radio unit left or right rocker switch until the anti-theft coding is activated. This is indicated by a short audible signal.

If the code number has been entered correctly into the radio unit, when the ignition key is removed the diode located on the front of the radio will flash. If the diode flashes the radio is ready for operation and the anti-theft coding is activated.

Note:

If an incorrect code number is entered twice unintentionally during the "Initial activation" of the coding for the electronic anti-theft system, the radio set will be electronically locked for one hour.

Slightly off topic, but my gti obviously has a gamma unit but the manual is a bit crap. When you take the key out the screen says 'Tim 2hr'. The book doesnt mention and I just wanted to know what it meant. Ive tried holding the Tim button but that just takes the unit to some other setup.

It means the radio will go off in 2 hours if you dont turn it off yourself

same as what happens when u turn the radio on without the key.

Strange that it says that when u remove the key - the unit is supposed to go off straight away :S