Need help with settings on my Amp/Sub please! - Alpine unit in GTi - haven't got a clue!

Hey there peeps!

I've recently had a nice Alpine head unit installed in my Lupo GTi, along with a combined Alpine sub and amp in the boot. The person that fit the sub didn't get the sound settings how I would like them, so I want to have a fiddle with the amp controls. I've tried a few variations but can't quite get the effect I'm after so was wondering if someone can tell me how to fathom the various dials!!! I listen mainly to hip hop btw! so not too fussed about stupidly low end bass (LPF is set on head unit though)

Here are the dials I can fiddle with on the amp -

[b:post_uid2]Gain[/b:post_uid2] (Volume I'm guessing?!) settings = Min / Nom / Max

[b:post_uid2]Bass EQ[/b:post_uid2] (What is this???) settings = ODB / +6 / +12

[b:post_uid2]LP Filter[/b:post_uid2] (again what does this mean?!) settings = 50 / 55 / 75 / 100 / 140 / 170 / 200 hz

I'd really appreciate anyones help in how I should roughly have the dials set! thanks!!

Gain- never have this passed half way, you dont want the amp to work too hard and distort. It is basically the master volume. See what it sounds like at half way at the desired head unit volume, if it distorts turn it down a bit more. If yours isnt a knob then set to nom.

Bass EQ- this is just an electronic bass amplifier, it just exaggerates the bass. Have it on 0 if you dont want lots of bass and 12 if you want lots. (id go for 6)

L/P filter- is the low pas filter. This just sets the bass cut off frequency. ie, set to 50, it wont play any freq above 50hz. This depends on what size sub it is and what music you listen to. Play about with this one to see what sounds best. I reckon about 100hz.

Hope this helps

I thought the gain wasn't to be used as a volume control, I though it controlled the amount of watts leaving the amp?

Ive got my sub amp set to 75hz and the bass boost set to 9 @ 50hz with a wide band.

As you said it depends on the size of sub, a smaller sub can handle higher frequencies alot better than larger subs. Mine sounds crap if I go higher than about 80hz.

But then again ive not got any rear speakers so I just have concentrated bass coming from the sub

Stricly, the gain shouldnt be used as a volume control. But, it essentially it is the master volume. I set mine up as follows;

Turn your head unit up to the maximum volume your gonna play at. (mines 28 out of 35)

Turn the gain up to the point where it is just about to distort.(shouldnt be more than half way usually)

job done. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I recomend you set the head unit up so that the EQ is off and all your faders and bass , treble controls are level....

then set the subs gain to minimum.

the low pass fiter on the head unit will remove the sub bass signel to the cars speakers so set that arround some place between 100 and 200hz, this depends on how they sound and how much work you want them too do....

also if the sub has a hi pass filter set this to the same as the head units filter or a little higher so you dont lose any of the range.

put the volume up about half way

and get a mate to adjust the gain on the sub up untill it sounds right,

play more than one type of music and spend some time with this to get a good level.

you should not have the sub set too high it should be part of the music and not sound louder than the rest of the set up,

next you can add EQ or adjust the level of the sub on the head unit to suite the mood .......

dont make the mistake of starting loud , start at low levels of sub and work up

you will hear what i mean smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

come see how its done at santa POD on the 22nd

Lupo Lupo is right turn the hard unit up to the loudest point you are ever going to have it. then turn the amp up till it's just about to distort or overpower the other speakers and nock it back a little.

The Frequency is depending on what kind of music you are going to listen to dance music is a higher frequency something like 80 to 120hz whereas R&B type music with low base notes can be as low as 40hz

just set it up till it sounds good with the music you listen to. but be warned anything higer than 120hz is going to damage subs as it's getting into vocal range and they are not designed to take that and will burn out.