ECU eeprom reading / writing

I'm still trying to clone my ecu on the tdi before messing about with maps etc. I'm trying to dump the eeprom. This is all new to me not done this sort of thing before.

I've made a bench harness. I have my blue kkl cable taking to my spare ecu in vcds, I have my Mpps able to dump the spare ecu flash. I can boot the ecu in boot mode too.

I have vag commander 2.5 able to ID the ecu using the blue kkl cable, but it cant do anything else with it, it's the same in the car via obd port. It just wont communicate beyond ecu ID.

I have a galletto clone and cant get that to work at all.

Now I've read about putting the cable into dumb (non intelligent) mode in vcds before using it on vag commander, but i guess they are talking about a rosstech cable and full vcds as there is not that option when i look at vcds lite.

There are cheap vag commander cables on ebay, but i have a hunch they are the same as the kkl cable i already have. Are they different does any one know?

Any ideas on dumping my eeproms with what i have or do i need yet another cable? 

Edited by Sausage
splelling

OK

Two problems, One you're not talking to the EEprom you're talking to the comms port on the device which is only configured to allow certain things. So it's a serial pot of some kind with a supported set of commnds and a protocol for driving it.

If you had access to that comand set you'd be able to know what can and can't be done, that will be difficult.

Problem 2

If you read about superchips or other chip tuners they alwasys have to open the ECU for the first car they do, that's so they can read the EEprom directly  which is what you will need to do.

Open you're spare ECU and find the EEprom, Take antistaic precautions !

if you're lucky it will be socketed and you can just remove it when you want to read it, if it's fixed to the board then it's a bigger problem you need a fixture to access it.

Simply put, Read the code number from the prom, look up the code, find the manufauturers data sheet that will tell how to read and write to the prom, prom programmers are available but you need the right one.