New Battery, New Problem

Just had to replace my battery (old one looks like original fit, could it be 13 years old? :surprised: ), fitted new one and car starts fine now. The only problem is the first time I start the car the throttle doesn't work. You can press down on the pedal and you get no chain in RPM. Because it's an automatic you can use the creep to move around a little without the throttle. Anyway, if you turn the car off and on again the problem goes away and you can use the throttle as per normal. This has happened every time I start it after leaving it for 30 minutes.

I've done a VCDS scan and it came up with an error code 17972 which is:

17972/P1564/005476 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Under-Voltage during Basic Setting

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17972/P1564/005476

The battery was a cheap one but I've checked the voltage on rest and it is 12.88, so that should be fine.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't know which cables run to the throttle actuator but all the connections on the battery itself look okay

It's the AUA 1.4 16v 75hp engine

Edited by stator

Thanks for the tip pkrboo, I was going to give it a try but luckily the problem has gone away all on it's own.

One thing that surprised me is how big the battery is for such a small car. I replaced like for like with the old battery, which is a 027 that weighs about 15kg, they are 24cm x 17cm x 19cm but when I've looked on the battery guides I see online they all seem to suggest a smaller battery for this model (1.4 16v AUA). I wonder if I'm weighing down my car for no reason and a smaller battery would have done just as well