rev counter stuck too high

weslangdon

An odd problem, engine in my Lupo 1 litre seems to be 2,000 revs to high, tick over shows up as 2,250-2500 and rev counter drops down to 2k when switched off but doesn't drop any further, even with the key removed, any ideas, instrument failure or an engine management issue. The display lights up normally and no warning lights show with the engine running, its just passed its MOT too so no emissions issues either. :surprised:

My 1.0e did this a few times , sorts itself out. You might notice the needle drops a fraction when you turn the engine off. It'll keep doing this until it hits the bottom after a while. Let it sort itself out , don't be tempted to turn the engine on and off loads of times in a short space of time.

Its an issue with the gauge not the engine.

Edited by HDH

My Corsa D CDTi had a similar problem. Vauxhall said it needed a new instrument cluster but a squirt of electrical contact cleaner sorted it out until I got rid of the horrid thing!