air con working fine... but only for 30 seconds

wall-e

Hello gang!

What with the weather getting warmer, I thought trying to use the air con on my loop!

To my dismay I found that it wasn't cold at all, so I took it for a re-gas at a local Volksline. Unfortunately their technician found that the compressor wasn't working, and after some deliberation I gave them the go-ahead for a replacement - quoted £410 for the lot.

Fast forward to the end of the day, the report is that its now running cold, but only for 30 seconds :(

Now to the garages credit they've said they won't charge for the compressor or the labour because the problem isn't resolved.

What I'm left wondering is if there are any known electrical issues with air conditioning on these.

I guess its a shot in the dark, but I figured somebody on here might have come across it before... just maybe.

Thanks danoid.

It seems odd that its now engaging the compressor, but then cutting out.

Presumably the pressure switch tells the compressor when it needs to start/stop to keep pressure in the system? (my understanding of the system is only basic).

Also one assumes that the pressure switch cannot be changed without another gas change...?

..well that was short lived.

The garage now suspect the fan control relay, but according to the parts place these don't have anything to do with the AC compressor?

Part code is:

1J0 919 506 K

Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram?

I've knocked it on the head for now. Contrary to what they said yesterday, I now owe £420 for no result. meh!

Due to the location of this relay I wonder if I've splashed it with screen wash at some point, which has caused a fault.

Edited by wall-e

When the aircon is on it puts the fan on at a low speed, so maybe it's cutting out as the fan isn't coming on doe to the relay being broken

Cheers Defcon!

What I've done since collecting the car...

- checked fuse tray (7.5A fuse is fine)

- compressor clutch engages as expected

When you say fan do you mean the radiator fan? ...I'm a little confused. The fan in the engine compartment doesn't run when the air conditioning is turned on. The interior fan works just fine, its blowing lovely warm air at me :)

Edited by wall-e

Yeah when stationary with the aircon on the rad fan should be on slowly IIRC

I had a similar problem in my Cooper S, (that also had the PAS pump fan o the same system) and you tested it by seeing what fans were on when the aircon was on

I had a similar problem in my Cooper S, (that also had the PAS pump fan o the same system) and you tested it by seeing what fans were on when the aircon was on

I did indeed check the fan while the air con was "running".

Might take a punt at this ominous fan control relay then :)

What I find odd is that I'm sure the rad fan kicks in when the car gets warm... maybe not!!!

OT: How did the Cooper S compare to the loop? I've been tempted before... would expect the S to be quicker etc... but is it more fun? (an older super charged one seems to be about Lupo money these days). I kinda love the little VW for its looks and quirky character.

Edited by wall-e

Yeah that's a different relay so it will do that.

I had an 03 (supercharged)Cooper S was excellent, rather thirsty though. 200+ bhp for a couple of hundred quid too. I'd have one over a GTI

Yeah that's a different relay so it will do that.

Ordering a new 1J0 919 50K "fan control relay" then... whats the worst that can happen :)

I had an 03 (supercharged)Cooper S was excellent, rather thirsty though. 200+ bhp for a couple of hundred quid too. I'd have one over a GTI

Good to hear your views. I'm going to look into it maybe later in the year.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well having received a replacement fan relay #1J0919506K I set about changing it, only to find a 1J0919506Q on the car.

I've tried both relays and in both cases the compressor kick in just fine because I can see it engage/disengage.

However:

- the radiator fan doesn't cut in at any point.

- the aircon is never cold (not even a little bit)

Can somebody with a GTI confirm if their rad fan spins when the aircon is on?

This is getting a bit tiresome :(

For what its worth I can't ever seem to get my rad fan to come on, even after a thrash up the motorway, then letting it sitting stationary in a carpark with some throttle input. The temp gauge sits at perfectly half and never goes any higher...