Lupo SDI speedo not working, needle went mental then all the way round?

Something has gone wrong with my speedo, the needle starting going mental going up and down and then it went all the way round and now is resting at a sort of 6 o clock position, the mileage is still going up but the needle doesn't move, has anyone else experienced this problem? how do i fix it?

get somebody with a decent computer(snap on solus will do it) to check your clock function. if they check out ok then you know the fault is elsewhere. once you've verified your clocks It could save you a lot of money and grief. the machine should also tell you where the fault lies. on test each clock will go to maximum (its great watching your car do 140mph) and then go to the halfway position. if it doesn't then you know you need a set of clocks but on some models you will need vagcom to code in the clocks not sure on lupo's as I've never had to do one. hope this helps, geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I have Vagcom (its an old version though) Im fairly sure the problem is the drive on the needle, i guess I'm going to have to take the dials out and open them up, its possible the drive gear has worn out - the cars done 218,000

I have Vagcom (its an old version though) Im fairly sure the problem is the drive on the needle, i guess I'm going to have to take the dials out and open them up, its possible the drive gear has worn out - the cars done 218,000

Good going! 218k is awesome.

Is there any chance you could find where it takes the speed reading from and multi meter it somehow?

• 2 months later...

To update this, The speedo needle would sometimes work but obviously it would be starting in the wrong position then every now and then it would jump a bit closer to 0 and start from there eventually got back round 0 and then worked fine for a month or so but now is in the wrong position again!

Cars almost touching 220,000 miles now :)