Heater blower issues x 2

Hi.

Got a 2003, '52 plate 1.7 SDi in E spec.

Blower only works on speed '4' which I assume to be a resistor issue.

Would this also account for the heater only blowing hot, regardless of what the temperature dial is set at?

If not, any thoughts?

Ta muchly.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a bit of furtling around and the update is that the resistor issue was solved with a used part, but only for a few days. I'll see if another replacement one lasts longer, but failing that, is there a next step to take (lubricate fan bearings etc in case they are causing too much load - seems to spin OK when rotating it manually, but not sure if it should run on for ages when spun).

The blowing hot issue was solved randomly by rotating the blower direction knob. When fully clockwise to clear the screen, the heater blows on "surface of the sun" temperature. If you rotate it anti-clockwise it gets progressively cooler until it's on dash vents only setting at which point it's "Polar bear's living room" cold.

I wondered if the previous owner had a punt at fixing the blower problem by taking the heater control panel off and just wired it back wrong. Anyone come across this?

It's not the main problem to be honest (*cough* "Wash-wipe issue" *Cough*), as I know I can work around cooking myself on the commute to work at least. It'd just be nice to have it work.

Cheers,

Si