How to find out if my TDI has been mapped?

r0ssi_tdi

Hi everyone,

Ive not had my Arosa long but im amazed at how nippy the car feels and have a feeling it may well be mapped.

Is there a way to find this out without plugging it in? are there any characteristics that i could look out for between a std TDI and a mapped one?

Im currently getting about 360-380miles between fill ups. Il brim the tank (not using the expansion tank) then fill it back up when the light comes on. Miles to litres its coming back at around 60-65mpg, VERY happy!

Cheers

Edited by r0ssi_tdi

Standard they have a big surge of torque around 2200rpm which makes them feel quick. It quickly dies off and there;s not much point in revving it past about 3k rpm.

Once remapped, the it keeps on pulling well past 3k rpm without dropping off.

It's a bit hard to describe really but if you saw a rolling road graph then it might help you understand.

No no i fully understand what you mean, the torque does drop off around 3-3.5k so im guessing its not mapped... be looking to get it to Stealth Racing in Southam in the new year for a map then no doubt!

Anyone had any experience of Stealth?

• 4 weeks later...

Wish mine did 360-380 before the light! Mine does around 330 been thinking about mapping it to improve it.

Never mind 360-380! wish mine did 330. Before my re-map (Awesome GTI) most i got was 310 per full tank, since my re-map most i`ve got is 280.

Dub was that with filling the extra tank? I get more miles with shell nitro+ and millers cleaner compared to normal diesel and Millers. You got a heavy foot a heavy foot or something? Like rossi said isn't a map supposed to improve this? I've done egr delete. Green cotton filter. Cat delete and free flow exhaust. Next is going to be a map tie it all in and make use of them just hope I get at least the same mpg if not better

Edited by Richie7Rich

Dub was that with filling the extra tank? I get more miles with shell nitro+ and millers cleaner compared to normal diesel and Millers. You got a heavy foot a heavy foot or something? Like rossi said isn't a map supposed to improve this? I've done egr delete. Green cotton filter. Cat delete and free flow exhaust. Next is going to be a map tie it all in and make use of them just hope I get at least the same mpg if not better

Sorry, what do you mean by "filling the extra tank" ? i fill it up until the nozzle clicks, then zero the miles, use until the fuel light comes on, then fill up until it clicks again, then work out the MPG, i presume that is pretty accurate? As for a heavy foot i think you do tend to drive a bit more spirited, but nothing silly. I just cant get nowhere near some of the MPG`s quoted on here. Is there anything i am doing wrong or anything else i shoud be doing.

Just onside the filler tube\neck is a little black lever. When the tank is full, push the lever forward and it will vent the tank, allowing you to put more fuel in. You can do this numerous times allowing you to put a couple of extra litres in the tank.

Obviously the ullage space is there for safety as fuel expands in the heat, so it's only recommended if you are going to drive it straight away.

For this time if year it probably wouldn't expand at all. I only vent it once and it's normally around 5pm then be driving it the next morning I haven't had any problems yet. So far I've got 340.7 miles without the light coming on which is nice. And yes I trip the dials after every fill up too. I have just had a lighter stainless exhaust and the proper sized battery which weights quite allot fitted so this might be helping :)

• 1 month later...