1.4 16V AHW Thermostat

Hi,

I bought my lupo 2 years ago and the coolant gauge has never worked, so afew weeks ago I changed the coolant temp sensor, now the gauge works but not as I expected....

If I'm driving at 60mph the temp drops to just above 70, when I'm at a stand still the temp rises to 90 which is normal.

Am I right in thinking that the thermostat needs replacing? Will there be much harm leaving it the way it is?

Does anyone have a guide in replacing the thermostat or any advice? Do I need to replace just the thermostat or the thermostat and housing? do you lose much coolant when replacing the thermostat?

Thanks for your help

Yup same as my passat, it does damage your fuel consumption quite a bit to be honest. I use to easily get 42mpg on a long motorway run but only get around 36-37 for the last few years, i've been putting it off and off because it's not really DIY in the passat due to other things having to be removed and not comfortable in doing it, but might try myself when I get some ramps as access should be 10 times better :)

All coolant will be lost (unless your a ninja), so you need to drain the system first, then remove the thermostat and O ring, refill and bleed the system of any air.

I did hear that sometimes it's advisible to replace the housing, as it can shrink a bit and make it harder to fit the new stat, but whether thats someone who has spare cash to do so I don't know.

Edited by danoid