Whine in 5th

stefan-west1

Hi all. Got a bit of a problem with the gearbox on a 2002 1.0 s. Basically a couple of weeks ago we had the gearbox oil level looked at as was struggling to get into gear and making a small whine across the gearbox. They said they took around 2 liters out to get it level with the filler plug on the side! What we think is the garage who did the clutch in Aberystwyth last year filled it up through a breather pipe at the top and completely filled it!!! Ever since gear changes have been lovely and smooth and the whine across the box had gone. However. As soon as you put the car in 5th, and it only happens in 5th, it sounds like a jet liner when you press the accelerator. It goes when you let go. Now I assume its the gearbox purely because it only happens in 5th and it's happened ever since they took the oil out. I can't imagine it's too low on oil as this would surely affect the whole box, so would this mean it could be a bearing? Any help is appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Your gearbox is gone mate. Same thing happened to me when I had my sport. At first it was whining and I was young so I was like cool rally car! But then it wouldn't go into gear and then it popped out too. Soon it was undrivable.