TDi driving tips and maintenance?

Dblock

So first fill up but I did fill the expansion. Works out I'm getting 54.3mpg which I dunno is good but I do want 60+mpg. Now I don't need eco driving tips but I was wondering if anyone who had a scangauge or the likes could tell me what's better for fuel 30mph in 3rd or 4th and 40mph in 4th or 5th?

On my next day off the car is getting a oil change, fuel filter change, air filter change, maf clean and inlet manifold change hopefully. I want it to be good before its remapped. I'm hoping all these things will help mpg if only slightly.

Has anyone tried diesel purge? The 1.9tdi guys love it and our AMF's are pretty much the same aren't they?

Lastly the best way IMO to get a diesel to use less fuel is heat it up quicker. I will be changing the thermostat soon anyways as its cheap but has anyone got any ideas to heat up a tdi quicker. Grill blocking or something? I don't want it to over heat but the car takes about 10-15mins to fully warm up.

Cheers guys :-)

Edited by Dblock

I always drive in 5th at 40mph and 4th at 30mph, but I have no idea if this is the best MPG. I've always just assumed it's good to be as at low revs as possible as long as the car isn't vibrating to ****. I work as a delivery driver for the vast majority of the time when I use my car, so the engine is warm most of the time when I'm using it which probably helps a bit.

In my 1.7SDI I seem to usually get around 53mpg just driving it around town without really trying much to drive economically, but I can get it to around 57-60 if I try more I think.

Hmm see your right above the low revs but it surly goes on how much the engine is labouring throttle position etc etc. I find the tdi a little sluggish in 4th at 30. I knows its 3 cylinder but it feels lumpy when its labouring.

Yes I quite often (nearly always) drive the Dune on the MPG display, sometimes I am plodding along at 40mph and decide to change down and the MPG goes up.

Dune has 69bhp and is a lardy assed mutha' though.

Doesn't return good MPG at 70mph on the motorway, but is good at 50-60mph on B roads and non dualled A roads.

A long weekend trip to the lakes, with a mix of all road types generally returns about 56mpg average.

Thanks mate. I thought so as the car seems happier in 3rd at 30 than 40.

Most of my driving is done at 70mph but I think I'm losing mpg because it takes so long to heat up. Obviously slower = higher mpg though.

I always use 4th at 30 and 5th at 40. It labours slightly more but on the flat level the scangauge reads 100mpg at 30mph in 4th, and about 80mpg in 3rd. Sometimes they do not seem to like 40 in 5th and you do need to change down if there is an incline, or to accelerate. There will be a bit more vibration but the Scangauge does show more mpg.

If you have a Scangauge the parameters to look at are instantaneous mpg and engine load. If the load goes to 99% the engine is labouring.

The only way to make it heat up faster is to keep the heater on cold, and drive it harder so it's on boost. But IMO driving it harder uses more fuel than an extended warm up period.

So to sum up, the slower you drive it the less fuel it uses.

Jon

I don't have a scangauage currently but its on the cards.

I don't use the heater until the car is warm anyway but most days (I got the car when the weather got better) I don't have the heater on at all.

I will be changing the 'stat soon anyway and once I have vcds I can check the temps and the temp sensor.