Is this my EGR valve? [Arosa 1.0]

This is located on the right hand side of the engine, quite far back. I believe it needs a good clean! Iv'e got p0404 and p0302. Both are linked to the egr so I am hoping it's this. My exhaust is also blowing too. I am planning on completely removing the EGR if it does not clean up. Also there is a open pipe sticking out, is this correct? Thanks

IMG_20130315_150510_zps646c84aa.jpg

Oh it is the EGR valve.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-POLO-SEAT-AROSA-1-0-EGR-VALVE-GENUINE-VW-030131503F-12-MONTH-WARRANTY-/281037953304

Has anybody removed one before from the 1.0 Arosa? I'm planning on giving it a good ole' clean or delete if necessary. I'd like to do a tutorial aswell with pictues if there isn't one for this model. I think I will need to remove then engine cover but there's spark plugs running along it and would probably need removing. I don't want to get them mixed up :o

Edited by Rickpercy87

That's just the leads that clip in to the cover to keep them tidy. You can remove them from the cover, I ran no cover for ages as I have separate induction. As long as they are still plugged into the coil pack and spark plugs themselves you shouldn't get mixed up :) let me know how you get on with the egr, I need to attempt the same!

The open pipe should be connected to your air box, there a piece of pipe that connects them up, don't think it's imperative though, just a breather.

Cheers mate, i'll get on it and let you know how I get on. Need to buy some carb cleaner and then figure out how to delete the EGR too. I'm thinking of deleting it regardless of whether I fix the Valve or not. If anyone has done this before I am interested to know their method. Anything I need to beware of or remove before I remove the EGR?

Possible loss of some or all of your coolant as I heard some are water cooled.

And deleting will probably keep the codes in tbh, the ecu is set to look for an egr, not sure if you can tell it to forget about an egr.

Depends whether your tester is friendly, mine went through fine. No advisory, not sure if a standard test would flag it up as an advisory or a fail.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys did you get anywhere with the blanking plate on the 1.0l? I seem to remember reading that's it's not good practice on the 1.0l but wants to do it to mine if poss as the egr valve keeps sticking. Thanks.

Edited by Hallamski