Lupo SDI Economy Figures

Skezza

Howdy,

So I've been driving a V-reg Lupo SDI ever since I wrote off my wonderful green machine. I figured I'd start taking notes of the economy figures of the Lupo SDI, considering it's a big selling point on fleaBay and I have to say I'm reasonably impressed. I miss the green machine, but I really like the SDI, except the big 200+ pound tax bill coming my way (DVLA thieving ****ers lol), it drives smoother, although it idles heavier and rougher.

Week 1: 58MPG - Commuting to work, mainly 60Mph A-roads, however 2 days in which there was heavy traffic due to snow, so crawling.

Week 2: 65MPG - Again 60Mph A-Roads, less problems with congestion, not much 'social' use.

Week 3: 50MPG - Absolutely thrashing the arse off it through all gears, before I have it fully serviced + new cambelt.

Week 4: 58MPG - Straight after service (new fuel pump, filters, oil, the whole whack), taking it mainly up to 70Mph rather than 60Mph.

Week 5: 63MPG - Mainly 60Mph A-Roads again although a little bit of crawling too.

These aren't bad figures considering I'm not doing motorway driving much now, not a single figure under 50MPG which is pretty decent in itself in my opinion.

I still crave a Lupo 3L, but until then, I can live with the SDI I think! :P

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good post. How is it at 70? Mpg and does it strain?

Absolutely not. I took it for its first motorway run this week. I remember someone on here saying they are great on the motorway, and by god they are. At 70Mph, it was doing roughly 2500 revs. Hardly anything for a diesel. I think my petrol 1.0 used to be doing about 4000 at 70 lol. Between 80-85, it did 3000 revs. It certainly didn't feel strained at all. The fastest I went was 85, which was only because it was the M6 at 7am and as you can imagine, that was about the fastest you could go.

The thing that really impressed me was I sat mostly in the fast lane with Merc's, Beamers, Passat's, and I certainly didn't feel out of place. I remember taking the 1.0 in the fast lane, big mistake. If we were doing 70 and someone pulled away in front, I'd put my foot down and nothing would happen. The guy in front would be getting further and further away and I'd still be crawling up to 80, I'd certainly feel a bit of a nugget. Nothing like that in the SDI. Every time someone put their foot down, I had no problem keeping up with them; the response time at that speed was excellent and nobody pulled away from me. They aren't brilliant at the low end, but between 50-80 ish, I think that is where they are in their comfort zone and that is where you will get your acceleration.

For most of the trip, I kept it at a steady 70, as was the speed of the traffic in the fast lane. There were the odd moments where I took it up to 80-85, just because I had to, but the traffic quite quickly returned to 70. When I filled up, I was surprised to see I got 62MPG. Not bad eh? I imagine I'd have got a better MPG had I not taken it up to 80-85 those couple of times, but you can't really complain at 62MPG :)