oil temp dropping

Guys this may just be me being paronoid, but I thought Id ask anyway.

While Eastbenders were on, I thought Id warm the 19 up.

Everything was fine untill the engine was at running temp, then the oil temp/pressure (Im unsure what the gauge is for :oops: ) dropped down.

When I reved the engine it rose, then dropped back down again.

Any ideas please?

If it's oil pressure, that's perfectly normal behaviour as I understand it. Should read high when the engine is cold, then drop down as the engine warms up, increasing and decreasing with engine revs.

oil pressure it is

the viscosity of the oil is thicker when engine is cold, thereby creating a better seal on the gear pump, but as it warm it gets thinner and hence the lack of oil pressure

as said its normal

I think it's crazy every car doesn't have an oil temp gauge and/or pressure gauge. IMO the water temp is next to useless 99% of the time. The only real thing that the water temp can tell you is that the engine is overheating....but usually it'd be too late to do anything about it. You'd see the same effects from oil temp and a lot earlier....plus you know when the engine is fully warmed through on a cold morning.

i think they only put water temperature gauges on some cars (not all cars, some only have a over heating dash light) because i think people understand them alittle more, people would get confused about oil pressure gauges as shown by our own andi