Help needed with new steering wheel

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me, I tried to fit my new aftermarket steering wheel today but could only get one of the airbag clips released on my standard 'wheel, the other one refused to budge. After an hour I gave up and tried to push the other one back on but it won't go back on so now the front of the wheel is stuck half on half off. And it's making the horn stay on constantly whenever I turn the ignition on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Haha!! I did this yesterday trying to fit the Audi A4 wheel on mine which was a major fail. Did all that wiring coil come undone??

Haha no i didnt even get that far! Couldnt even get both of the airbag clips off :P

i think you need to persevere and get it completely off, then when putting back on, put the bottom in first then the two clips either side :)

Yeah the clip can pop up and go above the clips it sits in therefore it stays up and pushes the otherside down (which is why your horn is going off).

Like Joeadamou said, persue to get it fully off and then put the clip back in its place. And then when putting it back on place the top bit in and push it in then hit the bottom bit and DONE!

Keep us updated. Haha Good Luck!

Yeah the clip can pop up and go above the clips it sits in therefore it stays up and pushes the otherside down (which is why your horn is going off).

Like Joeadamou said, persue to get it fully off and then put the clip back in its place. And then when putting it back on place the top bit in and push it in then hit the bottom bit and DONE!

Keep us updated. Haha Good Luck!

bottom first then top ;)

Fair enough, i know mine wouldn't clip in at the other way round, i slid the bottom in and then whack the top parts :)

Edited by joeadamou

Cheers lads :) I'll have another crack at it tomorrow and if it fails I'll just take it to a garage and get them to do it XD

Haha!! I did this yesterday trying to fit the Audi A4 wheel on mine which was a major fail. Did all that wiring coil come undone??

Remove the cowling around the steering column to allow more room to lever the air bag clips open, use a long flat head screwdriver. They are a pain to remove to be fair.

And the coil of wiring is the slip ring (wiring for the airbag) its coiled up in a ring so the wires can move as you turn the wheel. It may be ****ed now and you may bee a new one. Hopefulll not if it clips back together.

Alex

Good news chaps! Got it sorted!! Haha. With some help from a friend all your advice sorted the issue!! Thank you Alex for the recommendation of getting the column surrounds off. Ill post some pics up soon :)

• 3 months later...

I know all of this was a while back, but Ive had a wee problem..

Took my steering wheel off and my wiring coil at the back fell off and is all over the place. Did this happen to you and what did you do to sort it?