Mk2 Arosa 2 fault codes

tom3112

Well today coming home from work about half hour ago my engine warning light came on, it stays on so it's not something seriously bad (i hope anyway, payday is too far to wait!)

I was doing 60mph all the way home on the motorway, its about a 20 mile drive and nothing seemed wrong.

Although when at low speeds, 30/40mph and below, when i hold the accelerator at the same spot without moving the car judders but stops when i take it off.

I'm thinking throttle body? I have no idea where it is though and how to clean it? Could someone help please.

Sorry don't know how to re-size :s

t5t10l.jpg

Edited by tom3112

Yeah no probs, Im on earlies tomorrow so can do it tomorrow evening if you want?

Alternitively Monday evening, or Tue/Weds/Thurs morning im also free.

I live 2 mins from the M62, so easy to get to

Tom brought his Arosa round this evening, and two fault codes were recorded (I cant remember what they were but he will post them up!)

When the throttle is held steady at low revs whilst out of gear, you can feel a slight juddering. Add more throttle and its normal.

When you start the car it idles at 1200, and you can hear something sucking air in around the throttle body area (1.0MPI). After a short while this sound stops and the revs drop to 650. it was dark so couldnt really see where the noise was coming from.

Evidently there is an air leak somewhere, any ideas? Why would it stop after a bit?

Also, reading the measuring blocks, there are two temp readings, one is def coolant (steady at 90ish) but one is reading 35, which is obviously incorrect, but what is this reading from? Is it the secondary feed from the coolant temp sensor?

Bit stumped really, initially I thought it would be the leads/coilpack but given it pulls smoothly and there are no misfire codes I decided against it

Tom brought his Arosa round this evening, and two fault codes were recorded (I cant remember what they were but he will post them up!)

When the throttle is held steady at low revs whilst out of gear, you can feel a slight juddering. Add more throttle and its normal.

When you start the car it idles at 1200, and you can hear something sucking air in around the throttle body area (1.0MPI). After a short while this sound stops and the revs drop to 650. it was dark so couldnt really see where the noise was coming from.

Evidently there is an air leak somewhere, any ideas? Why would it stop after a bit?

Also, reading the measuring blocks, there are two temp readings, one is def coolant (steady at 90ish) but one is reading 35, which is obviously incorrect, but what is this reading from? Is it the secondary feed from the coolant temp sensor?

Bit stumped really, initially I thought it would be the leads/coilpack but given it pulls smoothly and there are no misfire codes I decided against it

As said, got 2 fault codes, one is 16891 p0507 and the other is 16885 p0501, the first one i googled and a few times it has come up with a vacuum leak (like we expected) but i have no idea where from, maybe an inlet manifold gasket? And the temp readings, getting a new sensor to see if that sorts it out, like Tom said one is definitely the coolant but the other we couldn't work out where it was from, is this what the engine thinks it is running at?

The 2nd fault code i googled and came up with 'vehicle speed sensor' - after reading a few topics on it other people have had the problem with rev counter/speedo not working, although mine work spot on.

Has anyone got anymore ideas for us?

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Vehicle speed sensor im pretty sure is crank sensor,

My crank sensor went it wont read your timing right even though it is and doesnt know when to spark properly and makes ot run strange,

If what you believe your coolant sensor has gone then it plays tricks on your choke, it wont know when the car is warm or cold and will idle high or low, it can idle at 1200 even when car is at 90degrees and sometimes it will struggle to start as wont put enough fuel in. Also your temp gauge will play about and read incorrect.

I only know this from previous problems.

And for the person who said thats your emissions light its not its your engine management light which means something is wrong with your engine/electrics

Well I know someone who used to work in the pits for Maclaren and is one of the wisest mechanics I know, taking it to his workshop tomorrow and wr're going to check it over. The air leak had been narrowed down to a manifold gasket so it will also be sorted tomorrow. Also been talking to someone in the know about MOTs, (mine is due next month) it will fail the new MOT as of 1st April because the light is on, he also mentioned all the other checks they are bringing in and he thinks that they will be bringing in the 2 year MOT check. Is this a good or bad idea though?

Btw thanks for your reply arosabinns

Took the throttle body off today and cleaned the other side, found a crack in a breather pipe so cleaned it then glued and taped it up for now, so that's sorted the air leak, takin the egr valve off now after I've had a break see if there's owt there too, should have sorted the idle out then pluggin it back into diag system see if it comes up with owt

Well success, took the egr valve & pipe off, the pipe is such a bitch to get to at the back! Sprayed the throttle body in duck oil and cleaned it with a rag, then soaked the throttle body in acid (not sure what it is but was advised to wear rubber gloves) the egr pipe was caked in crap, few more months and think it would have blocked altogether, sprayed some duck oil in through it swilled it out a few times, then it was just free flowing through it, blew through it sounded good so then started putting things back together, got everything built back up so fired her up and had a mis-fire, wasn't good, took the rocker cover/air filter off started it back up and was fine no mis-fire so could only be a squashed pipe, put it back in carefully and bingo! All is well, plugged it back into computer and it was fine, no fault codes so all is well, idles fine now too so I am one happy chappy. And the cost, nothing! Just need to pop over to seat to get the exact pipe I need so I can bin the one I repaired, day well spent imo! Thanks for everyone's input and if anyone needs anymore info of how to do what I've just done pm me and I'll gladly help :)