Stiff gear box

Got a 2001 1.4L lupo but it has a very heavy gearbox. Had the pedal box done recently and they said the clutch would need done at some point as it is quite heavy. Would this cause the stiff/heavy gear box. It is stiff in all gears and they do not seem very positive when you select them. Is the problem more likely to be the two gear linkage cables?

How easy is it to replace the gear linkage cables and how much do they cost. If it is not too much I would replace them first to see if that solved the problem before going to the expense of doing the clutch.

Any help appreciated

Trout13

Sorry if this is way off the mark - before you do anything else, you might just want to quickly check the clutch cable is tight. At the end of the cable (in the engine bay) are a couple of bolts. Mine came loose a while ago and I thought I needed a new clutch! Tightened them up and everything was fine. Might be totally off the mark, but worth checking before getting mucked up!