power steering rack....getting it out

keir1163

Hi guys,

i am halfway through removing a power rack to replace it but i cannt get it out!

has anyone actually done one and knows how you get it out?

the issue seems to be where the rack goes into the car and the UJ. i have no idea how to get the power rack part off the steering colum part.....there just donnt seem to be enough room to manouver it off the spline......does one have to remove the steering column????

any help?

you shouldn't have to remove the steering column. there should be a bolt or something pinching the coupling onto the rack, if you remove that and any other bolts holding it to the car it should move enough to pop off

I think ive sorted it but not 100% convinced. Ive measured the thread on the track rods so the ends are exactly the same each side, and now got the wheel centered perfectly onto the column.

The thing that I am unsure about is when I turn the steering whel right, i get 1 full turn and just under a half before it's on full lock right.

When I turn the steering wheel left I get 2 good full turns before its on full lock, This makes me think its still off but arent entirely sure

I just undone the bolt on the bottom of the steering column inside the car and mine slipped out, it is fiddly tho but should move

so .......i have removed the bols and i cannt see how there is enough room to get it off the spline as you cannt move the rack down cos the subframe is there............

drop subframe maybe?