Red Upper Door Cards - how to re-trim?

MissCooks

Hello!

I'm looking to refresh my lupo interior. The upper door cards are a tad faded and grubby looking but i'm not sure how i can change/re-trim these. I currently have red upper door cards but would like them black or fresh red..

Any ideas? Also a guide on how to take them off would be useful.

Thanks in advance

:shades:

Teila

Rear ones, grab and pull

Front ones, pop off the bit surrounding the lock button, pop off grab handle, undo screws then grab and pull being careful to not pull anything off with it.

With the material, scrape it at the back to the edge then, you guessed it... Grab and pull..

Pick a material you like (something that has a little stretch/give is best) then use removed bits as a template for new material being sure to cut it a little bigger.

Adhesive wise I used "evostik impact adhesive" which I brushed onto the door card, leave a few minutes and gradually put the material onto it stretching it as you go for a nice fit, once done put about a 1" line of glue around the edge on the rear, leave a minute then pull and stretch the material pressing it into the glue hard then leave afee hours (ideally overnight) to dry, I would leave in garage etc when drying as when the glue goes off it stinks!

Tips -

Don't spread the glue too thick and don't press the material on the fronts too hard as seepage may happen and you need to start again.

Get a few cheap paint brushes from the shop to do it.

Spread the material over handle holes etc and once its all glued carefully cut it out a bit and glue under the edges, no need to be overly tidy as handle covers it mostly.

Keep your hands as glue free as possible, get any on them go wash it immediately as will screw up all your work.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't you really should leave it to a professional lol!

Will see if I got pics still

You are a ledgend :-)

Thank you very much for that!

I have ordered black fabric and evostik impact adhesive..

I will let you know how i get on ...

Also, how many fabrics did you order from ebay, is it just the 1 i need for both front upper door cards?

Thanks

Teila

• 3 months later...

Thought i'd give you an update on this, as i managed to do some of this over the weekend.

I took the door cards off and found out that the previous owner had done the same and snapped my driver handle (to pull the door closed from the inside) and now i am -1 handle :angry2:. Anyway, i stripped them of the grubby red material. I must admit that this isn't a job for the impatient!

With the adhesive evostick, i covered the card, then waited... then attempted to smooth over the new black fabric, but this was so hard to work with there were lumps, bumps and imperfections left right and centre. So... i gave up.

I am hoping to get them upholstered by a friend of a friend. If that fails, i'm getting new material, and will upload pics when eventally done :thumbup:

Watch this space........... :shifty: