Putting the spring back

sunblindman

Hi

When I got my car the drivers door lock had problem, key just went round and round, went to local VW dealer strange attitude ( if your not a farmer with lots of money to spend, not interested). Quoted £63.00 for new lock& key, would take two months to arrive, then I would have to fit.

I bought a repair kit on eBay £ 9.99, took door card off, why do all the clips break? Took lock out, removed barrel from car, the kit had all the bits to replace any broken bits.

But how do you get the spring back. Does anyone know.

Put it back without spring it works.

Love to hear from anyone that knows how to do the job correctly.

Tony

• 3 months later...

Just to add to this post I did exactly the same as the OP today on my SDI. The existing lock didn't have the spring and reatiner present!?

I just added the new bits from the cheap eBay kit and fitted, although I have no idea where the spring goes. It still works fine without.

Martin

Did mine yesterday. Didn't take door cards off. Did it as per faq here. Removed bung, unscrewed the screw, popped the lock, stripped, greased and rebuilt.

There is also a video on youtube re spring. www.youtube.com/watch?v=lirCTsXw3CQ

Basically I put the spring in, twisted it to the right, to lock the bottom in. Located the spring on a tab on the top cap then keeping my thumb over the top to stop it popping out I pressed down and twisted it into place. Took all of 30 seconds.