centre console painting

im gonna spray my centre console and clock cowling flash red, but obviuosly they need to be sanded down first, what grit paper would i need for it and is it a light sanding or a heavy sanding, and do i give it a light sanding in between coats of primer and paint??

tips much appreciated :D

if they are textured they need sanding down to remove the texture, if they are smooth you can sand them with 320 grit and then around 600-800 grit, clean them off and prime them,

3 thin coats of primer leaving around 15-20 mins between each coat, leave to dry for a good few hours,

wet sand with 800-1000 grit wet and dry, be careful not to rub through the primer, if you do you will need to reprime them,

clean them off and dry them,

3-4 thin coats to paint, again 15-20 mins between coats,

about 20-25 mins after the last coat of paint you can lacquer, 3-4 thin coats again leaving 15-20 mins between coats

sanding between coats is just a waste of time, it pretty much has no effect on the final outcome, when i was doing my qualifications in college, as part of our coursework we had to do like an experiement, 4 panels were painted, 2 with rattle cans, 2 with spray gun.

then one of each was sanded between coats of primer and paint and the other 2 not, and there was no great difference in the final product so its just a waste of time and effort

the only need to sand between coats is if you've got runs in your basecoat/colour coats, if this happens, let the paint dry for a few hours, wet sand with 1000 and then redo a few coats of colour

This finish was achieved with just a light wet and dry. The primer was given a good wet and dry back to a reasonably smooth finish though. I left them more of a matte finish so I dont get too much reflection in the windscreen

28861_10150176765575035_678390034_12288598_7567846_n.jpg

Edited by Deadmetal

you really need to completely detexture the platic then get it smooth as glass to remove the fluffyness.

you want , 180, 240, 320, 400, then, adhesion promoter, dust that on I would then use a good high build 2k primer, 2 wet coats of that then let it dry, you can get a can called high 5 upol again that smashes anything from halfords.

Apply a guide coat to it then flat it back with 800 until the guide has all gone.

Once that is done you can apply the paint, I would avoid aerosol crap from halfords bcause to be honest its nearly all thinners inside the tin and is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!

If you go to your local paint supplier you will be able to get the basecoat in aerosol, I would reccomend this anyday, then you can get a good single pack clear coat in a tin aswell that goes off in half an hour, That should be more than sufficient. The clear you want is upol clear 1, its very good, smashes the crap out of halfords stuff and red bull racing use the upol clear and its only around a tenner a tin!

When I paint interiors I use all 2k products through a gun but then ive got the expertise, knowledge and equipment to allow me to do it. You wont get a show standard paint job like ine butshould be good enough that you will be happy!

Ill find a pic of my interior I did

carinterior2.jpg

carinterior7.jpg

Edited by arosa_rory

if they are textured they need sanding down to remove the texture, if they are smooth you can sand them with 320 grit and then around 600-800 grit, clean them off and prime them,

3 thin coats of primer leaving around 15-20 mins between each coat, leave to dry for a good few hours,

wet sand with 800-1000 grit wet and dry, be careful not to rub through the primer, if you do you will need to reprime them,

clean them off and dry them,

3-4 thin coats to paint, again 15-20 mins between coats,

about 20-25 mins after the last coat of paint you can lacquer, 3-4 thin coats again leaving 15-20 mins between coats

sanding between coats is just a waste of time, it pretty much has no effect on the final outcome, when i was doing my qualifications in college, as part of our coursework we had to do like an experiement, 4 panels were painted, 2 with rattle cans, 2 with spray gun.

then one of each was sanded between coats of primer and paint and the other 2 not, and there was no great difference in the final product so its just a waste of time and effort

the only need to sand between coats is if you've got runs in your basecoat/colour coats, if this happens, let the paint dry for a few hours, wet sand with 1000 and then redo a few coats of colour

when you say "wet sand" do you mean with wet sand paper?