Fooling ECU...

TomLS

As there seem to be NO topics at all on the conversion of a Lupo to run on LPG, I thought this would be the place to ask this question.

As I'm old school and anything with electronics angers me, I want to know if there's a simple (read: cheap/free) way to stop the injectors from firing, as the pump keeps running on most vehicles when using LPG.

I've no idea how the lambda feedback loop would function on anything other than petrol too, so I guess what I'm really asking is if there's any way to shut down everything other than the coil pack!

I'm fairly adept at fitting and tuning single-point LPG kits and have almost everything I need to do the conversion lying in the garage, except an electronic engineering degree!

Any help would be much appreciated! (And Megasquirt is too expensive before someone mentions it...)

Via the vacuum created by the pistons - just like a carburetted engine, it enters with the air.

WTF WTF WTF!

What MPG does the 1.0L do to start with?

About 45mpg if I rag it. However with LPG giving a conservative 85-90% economy, and slightly more than half the price, that would be equivalent cost of >80mpg at petrol prices. Not sure why you're so disgruntled? :confused: Just because it's already cheap doesn't mean it wouldn't be better, cheaper.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Edited by TomLS

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

I dont think anyone has done it to be honest matey, and those that have modified their fuelling/ignition systems to any great length all have aftermarket management.

Could you just have the injectors firing dry?

I dont think anyone has done it to be honest matey, and those that have modified their fuelling/ignition systems to any great length all have aftermarket management.

Could you just have the injectors firing dry?

I'm with you, but a lot of people have converted injected vehicles to single point open/closed loop gas systems.

I would expect dry-firing the injectors would cause them to fail pretty rapidly and fill my engine with lovliness, no?

Having kind of given up on the direct Lupo search route, I have discovered that a bank of emulator resistors and a relay is used. Therefore the signal to the injectors is switched to resistors that are sensed by the ecu to be the same as the injectors, and it has no idea they have been disconnected. The relay opens the gas valve allowing the alternative fuel to flow.

The only other thing as far as I can see is the Lambda. I could go for a closed loop system and use the lambda feedback to control the gas flow - but that would require merging the ecu signal to an aftermarket stepper motor - not possible for li'l old me!

So it looks like I will have to deal with the 'Engine Check' light when on gas, or hope there's some way to disrupt the lambda system when my new VAG-COM system arrives B)

If anyone does have any ideas, I'm still interested to hear them!

In my quest to find which emulator I need, I really need to know what type of ECU the 1.0l uses - anyone got any idea what type it is?

I see OBD and OBD2 bandied about a lot.

Cheers