Cheap fix for noisy door check straps

When I bought my car it had the usual annoying, clacking door check straps. I took one off to see what was causing the noise. There is a nylon bush (actually two top-hat section bushes, one inside the other) that the pin goes through and it's this that wears allowing the strap to flap about and bang against the pin. Lupodoorstay.jpg

The drivers side was worst. I removed the bush, found a bit of nylon pipe that was a tight fit in the strap and pressed in a short piece (the yellow bit in the photo). I heated up the pin and pressed it through to make the hole just the right size, then trimmed off the ends of the pipe flush with the strap. Then I cut up the original bush to leave me with two nylon washers to go either side of the strap. Result - a bit of a faff but no cost and now a perfectly quiet check strap that should last longer than the original.

The passenger side wasn't worn as bad so I tried putting a bit of heatshrink around the pin and refitting it. Well, it's not perfect but 99% better and there's no need to remove the strap so it only took a couple of minutes to do. It's held up fine for a few month now and, if it does start to make a noise again, it's an easy job to replace the heatshrink with a fresh bit.

I hope this helps someone out - the clicking straps are like Chineses water torture!

Edited by kabman
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

I'm gonna bump this up as just used the method but have given it a go with a bit of leftover bump stop.

If it happens again I'll get a more appropriate material.

Easy to do, saved me about £40

Surprised its not in the faq as its such a common issue?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.