What Replacement ICE for 1.0S Arosa

Can any of you ICE Experts recommend a nice easy replacement upgrade for the original in car ICE?

Needs to have iPod, Blue Tooth (for hands free phone) and Aux connections.

Also looking at fitting a sub with integral amp at later stage.

Been looking at the Clarion CZ309E - link any comments?

Edited by nicksuth

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've puller out the old SEAT HU but the wiring colour codes and positions look different to my Clarion HU :confused: see pics of what I found.

Can i just plug it in as-is to the Clarion HU or do the wires need changing around?

IMG00796-20101123-1233.jpg

IMG00795-20101123-1232.jpg

IMG00797-20101123-1234.jpg

Can anyone give me a bit of guidence? i don't want to disconnect the SEAT HU as it will then need recoding (I'm told by SEAT that it has to be done at SEAT garage with their diagnostic kit?)

In what way does it look different mate?

The ones in the pics look like standard ISO block connectors, which should just plug straight into your head unit and everything should work.

Dont worry too much about the Seat colours not matching up with the clarion colours.

Yeh, I recognise the connectors are DIN so no problem there :)

It doesn't help that the SEAT wire colours are non ISO :angry2:

What confuses me is the number of wires (7) that are in the power (black) ISO connector :confused:

There is a wire in A3 (Grey with White trace) which is normally blank/empty :confused:

Obviously with the SEAT there are only front speakers (2 x door speakers and 2 x tweeters in the dash) as can be seen by the brown DIN but I think I can manage to add the additional connectors required for 2 x more speakers :coffee:

I have now fitted the Clarion HU but it appears to lose it's preset station memory when ignition is switched off for a period of time :angry2: but there is a wire in A4 (Brown with Red trace) which should be 12v permanent :confused:

I really only expected to see 3 x wires in the power DIN block (ignition, ground and permanent live) as the SEAT radio/cassette player is pretty basic.

Does anyone have the colour codes for the SEAT audio system :confused:

Does anyone have the ISO cross reference colour codes for the SEAT audio system or what each wire is for?

SEAT POSITION & WIRE COLOURS

A1 = WHITE/BLUE

A2 = Blank

A3 = GREY/WHITE

A4 = BROWN/RED

A5 = BLACK

A6 = GREY/BLUE

A7 = RED

A8 = BROWN

ISO POSITION & WIRE COLOURS

A1 = BROWN (AUDIO MUTE FOR TELEPHONE)

A2 = Blank

A3 = Blank

A4 = YELLOW (+12V PERMANENT FEED)

A5 = BLUE (AERIAL or AMP)

A6 = ORANGE/WHITE (ILLUMINATION)

A7 = RED (ACCESSORY)

A8 = BLACK (GROUND/EARTH)

Edited by nicksuth

I have now fitted the Clarion HU but it appears to lose it's preset station memory when ignition is switched off for a period of time :angry2: but there is a wire in A4 (Brown with Red trace) which should be 12v permanent :confused:

On the Clarion part of the loom, swap the red and yellow wires. Red is ignition live, yellow is permanent.

Dont worry about all the left over wires mate. Just plug it in, swap the red and yellow and forget about it. :)

The bit that concerns me is the fact that the Red (A7) and Brown (A8) are both "heavier" wires which would suggest they are power cables (in and/or out)?

I'd really like to know what each of the wires are for before I swap them around - don't want to fubar my nice ne HU !!!

Anyone know the secret of the SEAT colours?

After unravelling the ElsaWin CD wiring diagrams I can report the following...............

SEAT POSITION & WIRE COLOURS

A1 = WHITE/BLUE (Unknown but thought to be possibly connected to alarm system?)

A2 = Blank

A3 = GREY/WHITE (connected into "Diagnostics" system?)

A4 = BROWN/RED (Ignition Feed)

A5 = BLACK (Aerial Booster)

A6 = GREY/BLUE (Lights/Illumination)

A7 = RED (Permanent Live Feed)

A8 = BROWN (Earth)

I'll try swapping some wires this weekend and report back on outcome.

Why the hell all manufacturers can't use the standard DIN/ISO system I don't know ???

• 2 weeks later...

On the Clarion part of the loom, swap the red and yellow wires. Red is ignition live, yellow is permanent.

Dont worry about all the left over wires mate. Just plug it in, swap the red and yellow and forget about it. :)

Okay, swapped the RED and YELLOW wires around and it now keeps it's memory, switches ON and OFF with the ignition (as it should), just need to sort out some rear speakers and also the Amplifier for the AERIAL - does it need this?