Newby, Please help, smoking really bad!!!!!

lovin.p1nk

Hi i purchased a V REG lupo 1.4 16v Sport two days ago had no probs driving back from collecting it 60 miles, the next day..................................

It has started smoking a grey colour smoke in quite large quantities,

Isnt doing it constantly, or at any particular time/gear/revs,

Also sutty black all over exhaust and back of car,

Not running sluggish or poorly at all, no warning lights on dash, no leaks,

Have had a lad have a look under bonnet and he has spotted oil in the airbox/air filter on top of engine,

I have heard that there is a two way valve that is at the back of the engine that sometimes gets stuck open/closed, and this can cause over fuelling/smoking/things going where they shouldnt??

Anyone help, have you heard of this cbeing a common problem, how to solve?? Im hoping this isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg ;-(

I can say that there will be oil in the airbox as the breather hose goes there, it is supposed to happen dont worry about that. I also get quite a bit of "smoke" out the back, but i notice it mainly on cold days, i think it is just vapour related to weather temps and could be cos exhaust gets cooled as it goes from a narrow pipe to a wide pipe in the exhaust, maybe condensing water in the air a bit. If it doesnt smell like smoke, its probably nothing to worry about.

I can say that there will be oil in the airbox as the breather hose goes there, it is supposed to happen dont worry about that. I also get quite a bit of "smoke" out the back, but i notice it mainly on cold days, i think it is just vapour related to weather temps and could be cos exhaust gets cooled as it goes from a narrow pipe to a wide pipe in the exhaust, maybe condensing water in the air a bit. If it doesnt smell like smoke, its probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks for that glad the oil in airbox isnt a problem but It does smell! It stinks of fuel! Anymore help would be great! Thanks again

Thanks for that glad the oil in airbox isnt a problem but It does smell! It stinks of fuel! Anymore help would be great! Thanks again

does it still do it when the engine is up to tempreture??

and is it using alot of oil? has the smoke got like a blue tint to it?

does it still do it when the engine is up to tempreture??

and is it using alot of oil? has the smoke got like a blue tint to it?

Yep still does it at any temperature! And yea suppose it has got a slight tint of blue! Just weird how it only does it a few times, but when it does it fills the road and cars behind me have to pull back! It's so embarrassing! I took the oil filler cap off and there was no smoke coming out so think that's a good sign??

Yep still does it at any temperature! And yea suppose it has got a slight tint of blue! Just weird how it only does it a few times, but when it does it fills the road and cars behind me have to pull back! It's so embarrassing! I took the oil filler cap off and there was no smoke coming out so think that's a good sign??

you havent put diesel in by accident have u? or ran the tank to bare empty?

Lol! Errm yep oil and water levels are fine and doesn't seem to be using any of either! I have got a vw mechanic coming to have a look shortly so If I get any answers I will keep u updated! Thanks again

Hi guys, just an update, a VW mechanice has kindly gave me a bottle of FORTE gas treatment, i have put it in the tank and WALLAH, No smoke! thanks for ur answers and help, but Lenny is back to his normal self again now and no expense spent :-)

you say it is cured, but i would still check...... the crank breather system is common for filling with mayo, remove and clean if possible, or a new one will be needed. Forte oil flush and an oil/filter change. clean out the air box and fit a new air filter, also clean the throttle body whaile your there. get it re adapted with vagcom.

what milage has the car done out of interest?

my arosa sport is exactly the same! the boot looks like a dirty derv burner!

the airbox is also full of oil and if i disconnect the breather and rev it then spits oil out off the breather, is this the crank breather? and is this what needs cleaning?

thanks, james.