lupo 1.4s mystery emmissions failure on MOT

--tom

x-reg 1.4s lupo 70,000 miles had mystery emmissions failure at high revs.on MOT.

No garage, including volks main dealer, has come up with a reason/solution for the high emmissions. Last mechanic to look claimed that the "diagnostic test point" had "fallen" behind the dash and now it was not possible to test the diagnostics.

The car is normal to drive, no lights or smoke. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

fallen behind the dash? LOL Its under the ashtray.

Best thing to do would be to take it for a hard run before MOT, not killing your car but driving harder than usual and get them to test it straight away.

Thanks for replying, i did take it on a hard run and added some kind of solution to the petrol ( Redex?) but i stll got the dusty emmission when i high revved it.The diagnostic point has indeed disappeared from it's secure point behind the ashtray - who's resonsible i dont know!

Hmm thats strange that it has dissapeared, so whats behind the ashtray now?

Yeah a few people use redex, some other people use Forte treatments.

Just a hole, there's nothing to grasp on to or hook out, merely a bit of spongy padding. I can feel bunches of cable but they are not free floating or loose.

I've only removed the pull-out ashtray does anything else come out without dismantling the console or whatever?

The port behind the ashtray that you pull out should look very similar to this:

e0269c.jpg

I posted a reply 30 mins ago and then went to look at the car dash ref. your kind pic. The reply seems to have disappeared, anyhow, the only piece of plastic that i can pull out is the ashtray itself, behind which is an "empty" square/oblong shaped port. No wires or cables are to be seen or felt. Next to the ashtray is the cig. lighter that remains in place when i remove the ashtray.

What is the next piece of plastic console/dash that can be removed without creating a dockyard job.

Whaddoyaknow... the "insert holder" above the ashtray pulls out and after shining a torch down there what do i see but exactly as your pic describes it - the purple diagnostic connector. Monday it goes in for another diagnostic.

Now why main dealer mechanics should claim the diagnostic point couldn't be accessed i dont know - possibly they were incompetent.

What to do about the emissions is the next difficulty - any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks anyway. Researching i've come up with:

lambda sensor/probe

ecu

air flow sensor

knock sensor

overfueling

clogged injector ( use injector cleaner)

CAT - presumably catalytic converter in the exhaust system

The oil option is interesting in that at the MOT they had to add oil on finding that the engine was almost dry.

The engine is burning the oil, thats whats giving the high emissions, probably fooking up the cat... Change the oil to a thicker grade 15w/50 oil or simular, change the plugs, clean the throttle body as it's probably caked in oil too, along with the air filter.

Mine just failed on emissions last week, new lamba sensor £80 can of oil treatment an some petrol injection cleaner worked a treat. Surely you can get a cheap sensor off europarts an get a garage to fit it just shop around for one but don't skimp on one as you'll be replacing it sooner than you think.

Thanks for the replies everyone and Lal for staying with me. here are the MOT results as far as i can read this almost invisible printing: failed CO content after 2nd fast idle excessive o.38%

" hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive 300ppm

lambda pass 1.022

What is oil cleaner?

what is petrol injection cleaner? is this the stuff like Redex?

how do i go about cleaning the throttle? Where is the throttle?

Will a fresh diagnostic tell me anything new?

a forte rep came to my work and we did a compression check on an old polo. they readings were all over the place therefore emmisions were out. put on of their engine flushes in and then changed the oil. redid the test and the compressions were all even and perfect. from this th emissions improved dramatically. might be worth a go.

Just to tell you all what happened next. The car is a write-off, the engine rings are knackered and so is the engine, everything covered in oil. Volks mechanic tells me that the 1.4s lupo engine is a disgrace, terrible track record for doing exactly what mine has done. The model has been replaced with the "FOX". Stay away from it.Anyone near manchester wants to make me an offer for a car in good condition, but no engine.