How to: Fitting an aftermarket head unit

This is probably one of the easiest "Technical" Jobs to do on the lupo, but to some people, fitting a CD Player can be a Daunting experience! I have created this guide to hopefully help make it a nice Pleasant experience for anyone who attempts this job themselves!

Here you see a standard vw head unit. Looks ok, sounds ok... but we want better than that don't we?? :shades:

hu1.jpg

Step One

Using a set of release keys (I used some old kenwood ones pushed in at a downward angle) slot them into the holes either side of the head unit

hu2.jpg

Step Two

Stick a finger into the cassette flap, the unit should come out with a gentle tug, if not, try adjusting the position of your keys

hu3.jpg

Step Three

Slide the unit out (watch the corners dont scrape your dashboard) and release the two plugs on the back of the unit

hu4.jpg

Step Four

If your head unit has a trailing lead clip this into the VW ISO radio plugs you see below,

hu5.jpg

Step Five

Try and tuck away as much of the wiring as possible now, this will help when you come to slide the head unit in to position.

hu6.jpg

Step Six

Slip your ISO / Or trailing lead through the cage along with the aerial lead

and slide the cage into position. On most cages you'll need to bend a few tabs using a screwdriver, to secure the cage. (alpine kindly provide a self securing cage which makes the job a doddle)

hu8.jpg

Step Seven

Connect the ISO / Trailing lead to the head unit, and connect the aerial lead, Now slide the unit into the cage, but before you slide it all the way in, turn it on and test everything is working ok.

hu9.jpg

Step Eight

Once you know the unit is working properly, Slide it all the way in and you should hear it click into position

(Unfortunately my camera battery ran out so i cant show you a picture of what it looks like fully fitted. but you get the idea)

FAQ -

Question

Do VW use a different wiring method to usual ISO looms?

Answer

Yes, In order to get my head unit working i found I had to swap the red and the yellow wires over (making both circuits permanent live) to get the unit to work.

PM Me for a more detailed approch to doing this, or seek advice from your local Car Audio shop (not halfords cos they'll sell you an adaptor)

Question

My aerial doesnt fit to my head unit?

Answer

VW use the European Standard aerial plug, Many aftermarket head units dont use this type, To solve this problem you can buy an aerial adaptor (£4.29 @ Halfords) (£3 to £4 from local car audio shops)

Edited by nfbr
Cleaned by: nfbr.
  • Like 1