3rd Gear - Where'd you go to?!

zippy

Anyone else had this problem?

Got a Nov 2001 GTI, 15k on it. Its a 5 speed, so reckon it was sitting unregistered for ages (as `6-speeders` came out `Aug-ish`).

Anyway, when I'm booting it & changing from 2nd to 3rd, it sometimes doesnt find 3rd properly (usually changing at 5500rpm - not too silly), resulting in a `screamy-crunch` & a mega `over-rev` of the engine (as I'm expecting 3rd & putting foot down already!).

Before you say, it aint my bad `co-ordination` or `old-bat` style driving, its happened `15-20` times so far, always the same situation.

Problem was, today I was doing a rather silly overtake when it happened & I was left with no gear, screaming car, no traction & a lorry heading right for me!

Do I go back to VW? ???

QUOTE(zippy)
Got a Nov 2001 GTI, 15k on it.  Its a 5 speed, so reckon it was sitting unregistered for ages (as `6-speeders` came out `Aug-ish`).

I read that wrong the first time and thought you were telling us you got a nova blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I've had this a few times on my 6 speed, i also just thought it was me being a bit crap with the gear changes.

don't take it back to VW as dont think its a problem, just because the Lupo has quite a snappy gear change you need to make sure it's properly in gear.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hi peeps,

this also happened on my ex 6 speed gti,

it may be trial and error really, its only happened once whilst i was racing a new shape bmw 3 series, still kicked his ass, so didnt really mind to much.

it tends to happen when your booting it, gearing is close so u gotta be correct.

taz