Just a few questions

DUB BOY

Right guys, im new on here and am looking to get a lupo 1.4 16v 100bhp one. I want to know what problems they get and what to look out for when buying one? I currently have a mk1 golf which is awaiting collection as i have sold it to buy a newer car and think a lupo will be the closest thing to it.

Thanks Sam

they can have buggered piston rings (quite common on sports) which means it guzzles oil and spits out tiny specs all over the back of the car. Requires engine rebuild and this is specific to the sport. The next ones are common with alot of lupos. Pedal box commonly needs replacing at some point (not the gti). Due to the spot weld construction designed to help it crumple in a crash, the welds become weak and eventually go completely. This should be fixed by VW for free as its a known fault. Roof gutters also get badly rusted in some circumstances and i understand some people have had this fixed by VW for free too. Central locking issues, electric window issues, instrument buzzer fails with v expensive fix considering (when lights are left on). Im sure there are more but i dont want to put you off as lupos are brilliant fun. I owned a sport that was fairly problematic but upgraded to a Gti and have not had a single problem as of yet *touch wood*. I spose you could liken owning a Lupo to that of owning an Alpha Romeo lol.

welcome to the club fella if your after a 1.4 16v you will be better off going for the 100bhp sport much more capable and fun to drive than the 75bhp model and will actually surprise a lot of bigger cars loved my old sport engine keep it at 4000rpm and its a hoot! as for problems ive seen all of them with mine, pedal box failure, door check strap problems, rear boot handle corrosion, roof gutters rusting, valve stem oil seals, others have had gearbox problems, headlight brackets breaking, dont let this put you off though mate as all cars as you probably know suffer from little niggles none more so than the mk1, ive had mine for 8 years and id never part with it, try and find a newer model as they came with the same seats as the gti and electric wing mirrors, stay away from modded ones unless theyve been owned by an enthusiast as theyve probably been thrashed around some car park somewhere beacause sadly now lupos are becoming cheaper there falling into the reaches of boy racers who are all following the new euro craze. Lupos are getting alot more respect in the vw world now and alot of people are selling their golfs and looking for a lupo. Keep it well serviced and clean and it will age well, the build quality is up there with all the bigger vw,s in the range thats one of the reason vw stopped making the lupo as it cost to much to make for what was supposed to be a small cheap car good luck mate and hold out for the right one itll be worth the wait

cheers mate, probably end up buying one of here tbh as its probably been looked after better. Am definately going to get a 100bhp otherwise i would regret not getting that extra bhp. I work for burton power so engine rebuilding and gearbox issues wont cost me as much as i have the contacts. Whats the central locking strap thing? Also what actually goes wrong with the gearboxes?

Sam

the door check straps are what allow a door to open up in stages. They make a crunching horrible sound when knackered but are cheap to fix

i would buy a gti but im only 18 and the insurance is well high as i live in ilford. Its £2k to insure a sport. Im paying £2700 for my 1.3 mk1 golf atm haha.

you could always upgrade the engine in a few years ive gone from the sport to a full gti conversion im now in the stages of a 1.8t 20v conversion being small dosnt limit your options it just makes them more fun! :)

I've had my sport 3 yeArs and only just starting to get sum niggles I'm getting the black specks but this isn't always need an engine rebuild I've been driving thousands of miles and it stills pulls the same as it did when I bought it...just need to keep your eyes on the oil level a bit more but it doesn't really seem to be using tht much more... My temp sensors just gone and so has my door strap .. But all in all it's been 3 years of practically trouble free driving...

It'll be the same as any car there will always be a few duffers out there just need to look for a well cared 1 with good history and you're laughing

cool cheers mate, i phoned one of my contacts today and i can get a gearbox repaired quite cheaply. All the other problems are fine, ill just repair them myself. I have a mk1 golf at the moment which i have nearly replaced everything on it to get it running right so hopefully a lupo wont be as bad.