is it the tyres?

PaulTither

Dunno if its the tyres or what but friday night and tonight I have got wheel spin when pulling onto the same roundabout in second, change up to third and it happens again then turn the corner after exiting the roundabout and my wheels turn one way whilst my steering wheel is turned the other!

`Co-incidence`? Too much power, or those dunlop wheels?

I've got wheel spin changing up to third before when racing a Merc `E-class`

Not sure what you mean 'my wheels turn one way when my steering wheel is turned the other'.

If it was wet, then the rest sounds normal with the Dunlop tyres - I could regularly do `second-gear` burnouts in the wet with the Dunlops just by doing a reasonably fast change, and you could easily spin the wheels for a second or two in 3rd gear too with an aggressive change.

Equally though, you've got to bear in mind that no tyre can perform miracles - if you hit a patch of standing water at any speed, you're going to lose grip whatever happens. I've lit my Eagle F1s up just by accelerating in 4th gear off a motorway exit that (I realised shortly afterwards) was just covered in standing water - that was at about 85mph :shock:

sounds like lack of traction and in wet, U wont be able to tell if wheels are point oppisite from wheel unless ur out watching it. If ur in wet and do a quick turn booting it then id say this is the norm. I get it a lot even with no matter what tires im running using toyo proxes at mo and still happens a lot epsecially in wet but also in the dry. Using nos in the wet when cornering or taking a roundabout then thats another experience lol

Ive done it quite a lot now and its amazing how sidey ways i can ge it then pull out of it. Im looking to make up some video clips of that so wont be long and ill `e-mail` anyone wanting to watch it.

Let us know if u want it.

As a precaution though id jack up the car and check make sure theres not lots of play ie track control arms or anything else knackered

sounds like torque steer or understeer or both. you just got to get to know him a little better - know when to ease off the power. doing 6500 rpm in the wet from standing start is never going to give you traction.

i have now perfected (ahem) by clutch movements to limit it as much as possible but hey... its a lupo. maybe you should get launch control?

Its happening more regularly, cornering at high speed is no probs what so ever, its when im turing `sharp-ish` bends at lower speeds, accelerate and it twitches like crazy and goes, only happens at night for some reason. Before tho I was overtaking up a hill in fourth and when i go level with the other car it pulled like crazy to the left, I wrestled with it a bit with one hand (other on the gear stick) and managed to keep it straight. only doing `3500-4500` rpm.

Its an 04 plate with about 4,500 miles so yeah its under warranty, tyres look fine but havent checked them, and its a newer tyre on the front drivers side after a puncture so they are definetly not worn.

My uncle had a mk1 Golf GTi many years ago and he said a similar thing used to happen to him, he went through 3 sets of tyres in a year and could hardly set off without gettin wheelspin!