Help ASAP Please Cambelt

just doing cambelt on my car! i have it at TDC on Cylinder 1 but the holes are not lining up on the pulleys? i have rotated it a further turn with still no luck :( any ideas? this is what i have got

DSC04897800x600.jpg

engine code is AVY if needed

Hmmm, thats most odd.

Either one of the pulleys has been put on the wrong way which would mean damaging the key in the cam or the exhaust cam is 180 degrees out which would very unlikely. Does it run fine as it is??? If so then put the engine in a position, using tipex or similar mark a point on each pulley and the head and the crank and block. Use your marks and forget about the holes but this is assuming it runs fine as it is.

A handfull of Golfs have the timing marks 2 or 3 teeth out on the crankshaft pulley as a marking machine went crazy a few years ago, the fault wasnt found until the dealers came to change parts!!

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

your a fookin star mate! you know i have been waiting for someone to say that since 2 oclock! didnt want to touch it as i have never done vag im a ford man and we all know you dont get second chances with cam belts! the exhaust pully must be on back to front which is odd! it deffinatly isnt 180 out as it has been running fine as it is but the thaught did cross my mind! thankyou for your help will continue now into the cold snowy dark :angry2:

Darren what the hell are you on about?? Dude its not 180 degrees out, dont move it!

Your just 180 degrees out on the top end of the engine, turn the crank end another full turn and line up the timing pulley knotch to the 2V line on the oil pump. You can see the mark on the first picture, on the oil pump, its the line on the right.

Remember, for every revolution of the crank, the cams do half a revolution.

Those holes dont line up on the pulleys.

They both sit at about 9 o clock, and line up wiht two holes in the cam carrier to lock the pulleys to change the belt.... looking at it there, it looks like the cam to cam belt is one tooth out. Might just be the angle though, its easy to check out, just pop the pins in (drill bits) and then put the belt on and do the tensioner.

Heres a pic of mine with the pins in, you can use drill bits to acheive the same thing:

IMG_0763.jpg

P1020697.jpg

P1020696.jpg

P1020138.jpg

Edited by CasperGTI

casper big help that mate! based on a pic of another cam locking tool i thaught the inlet cam hole had to be at 3 o clock and the exhaust at 9 o clock so that was was i was worried about! but mine is the same as yours! i see what you mean now about needing another rotation on the crank making them both 9 o clock they are both at 3 at the moment! yeh the exhaust will deffo be 1 tooth out as its not sitting parralell with the inlet pulley hole. so if i correct that when putting the new belt on it wont cause me any problems? cheers for your help guys. gave up tonight now the cold got the better of me! going to grab a crank locking tool off my because in the morning and have another bash! determine to get it sorted for the mot re test tomorrow :coffee:

no thats why i gave up lol! my cus may have one at his garage but they may just use the air gun! will see in the morning anyoying or what! been a waste of a day

Id get the pulley holding tool if you can, ive herd using an inpact gun on the crank bolt can cause it to snap.

Even though most people probably use an impact gun

Makes removing the pulley really easy.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Id get the pulley holding tool if you can, ive herd using an inpact gun on the crank bolt can cause it to snap.

Even though most people probably use an impact gun

Makes removing the pulley really easy.

John

hopefully they will have one! will see :D thankyou for your input! i wont be using the impact gun as i dont have a air line so no worrys about that