Rotor Discs

Just spotted these on Ebay, not seen them before, intresting shape!

Just wondering if they are any good? Quite pricy!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RotorDiscs-Front-Brake-Disc-Volkswagen-Lupo-1-6-GTi-00_W0QQitemZ260315740222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3c9c06f83e#ht_2916wt_939

Discuss!

Luke :)

Good points there John!

I think the shape of the disc's is meant to aid cooling but I'm not sure if it would be that affective!

Proper drilled discs are more prone to cracking saying that, The ones on the race cars always use to go between the holes!

The company who made these was something to do with Dubsport a while back. I've still got a couple of used sets of these lying around at work! Quite a hard wearing disc as far as I know, but haven't driven a car with them on for over a year now!

Is that not why people now dimple the discs as opposed to holes?

Very true dude!

Dimpled are better for road use as they are longer lasting, brembo still do drilled discs for road cars but they dont last long, but on the plus side they keep cooler and disperse the brake dust better tho the holes can clog up!

Edited by VWR Lupo

Reason for that shape = Points at the McD's Drive through cruise, how many race cars have you seen with that design of disc??

Cant see what use the dimples are either, maybe trap the brake dust off the pad and dipose of it later on the disc rotation??? Still don't see it on race cars.

All IMHO.

Edited by 99hjhm

Reason for that shape = Points at the McD's Drive through cruise, how many race cars have you seen with that design of disc??

Cant see what use the dimples are either, maybe trap the brake dust off the pad and dipose of it later on the disc rotation??? Still don't see it on race cars.

All IMHO.

Yeah all very true! the groves and dimples help stop the pad material glazing over due to heavy braking and as you say help dispose of brake dust!

May as well go for normal round drilled and grooved brake discs lol

Edited by VWR Lupo

The company who made these was something to do with Dubsport a while back. I've still got a couple of used sets of these lying around at work! Quite a hard wearing disc as far as I know, but haven't driven a car with them on for over a year now!

What did you think of them mate? Did they work well?

Lukey, these discs are copies from the bike world, they love wavey discs but the biggest issue with them on bikes and even more so on cars is the brake pumping effect that they feedback into the pedal.

As the pads are pressed against the disc the wavey edges allow the pads to move in at an angle which lets the piston come out even further then it hits the longer wavey pattern and the piston gets pushed back in, it feels like ABS on steriods. Its only a small fraction of a movement but its enough to cause bad feelings.

The reason many road discs are made with a dimple rather than a true through hole is simply due to use, they have a greater heat retention with the dimples and also the braking period, even though longer on the roads than the race track, has a lower force which creates alot less pad wear, ie dust.

Another factor is cost of failures, as you said through holes crack so the manufacturers end up with so many phone calls about them. Most discs will be serviceable with cracks of 3mm from the hole, Ferrari actually allow 4.5mm cracks before they change discs but many if not most owners would panic and change the discs long before that.