Freaky passenger side electric window

savavoom

So the problem is this:

When I try and do my passenger side electric window up (on my lupo gti) when the ignition is off it goes up half way, then goes all the way back down again. But then it wont budge, so I have to turn the car back on to try again.

If i try and click the button so it goes up on it's own it only goes half way and comes back down, I have to do it up in stages (i.e. up a bit up a bit up a bit more etc) until it's past the middle and then I can do it up in one go.

Also when you try and do the above when driving, it doesn't always work so you have to hold the button on to get the window to come up instead of just leaving it to do it on its own.

The driver side window is fine.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing it's a fault somewhere along the line but if someone has experienced this before then that'd be a great help!

Also, the locking system does my head in ... When you open the doors, get in, but don't put the key in the ignition, it'll lock itself and then the alarm will go off because I'm sat in it and I trigger it. Is it meant to do this or is that a problem as well?

Thanks!

Edited by savavoom

So the problem is this:

When I try and do my passenger side electric window up (on my lupo gti) when the ignition is off it goes up half way, then goes all the way back down again. But then it wont budge, so I have to turn the car back on to try again.

If i try and click the button so it goes up on it's own it only goes half way and comes back down, I have to do it up in stages (i.e. up a bit up a bit up a bit more etc) until it's past the middle and then I can do it up in one go.

Also when you try and do the above when driving, it doesn't always work so you have to hold the button on to get the window to come up instead of just leaving it to do it on its own.

The driver side window is fine.

Any ideas?

Also, the locking system does my head in ... When you open the doors, get in, but don't put the key in the ignition, it'll lock itself and then the alarm will go off because I'm sat in it and I trigger it. Is it meant to do this or is that a problem as well?

I'm guessing it's a fault somewhere along the line but if someone has experienced this before then that'd be a great help

Thanks!

hi mate, my drivers side window did the same thing a few weeks ago, check the switch first because its the cheepist thing (about £10-£15 i believe) i tried numerous switches and it didnt make a difference so i ruled that out, check the wiring in the loom that passes through your door, i had a few slightly broken wires so i soldered them back up and taped the loom back up, this still didnt make a difference but i guess it needed doing neway to stop problems later on =]

lastley i changed the motor, because they are a common problem i believe and more than likley this is what it will be (or the switch) i got a 2nd hand one from scrappers for about £50inc postage popped it in tied evrything back up and success. its been working for 2weeks now no problems. also there is a guide on here somewhere about repairing switches to save a few quid which i found helpful, someone will post it up im sure =] hope this helps. danny

no idea with the alarm one sorry =]

Edited by Rudaz

Check the rubber on the windows, Had similar problem before and the rubber around the window was out of shape so the window thinks its something in the way and goes back down.

As for the alarm its proberly a sensor on the door as when you unlock the car and open the door the car thinks the door hasn't opened and locks itself again and the alarm goes off, See if your interior light comes on when you open your door, if it doesn't then its the sensor.

Cheers for the info guys - big help!

Rudaz: I'll get on and check all the switches etc - glad to here you got yours sorted!

And I think the alarm thing is a sensor as my light doesn't come on when I open the door - so thanks for narrowing that down for me to Bikemad :)

Ta much!