Speedo

Over the past few days my speedo has just been completely cutting out on me, going completely to 0 when i could be doing.. say 60.

every so often it comes back to life and works for abit then drops right off again. ive also had it where it like "Wavers?" about abit, say im doing 30.. it will drop to 15, then to 20, back to 15 etc...

anyone heard of this problem before? or have any idea how to fix it?.. because from what its doing it looks to me asif its some kind of connection lose somewhere, but im not entirely sure where it might be.

are the speedos electrical? or are they mechanically driven?

thanks.

edit: ive got a video of it on my phone, ill put it up when i find the cable for my computer

Edited by `Shack

how much did it cost you to get yours sorted mate with it being the ECU? just incase its that?

Also, you know where the plug into the gearbox is or anything? going to check over all that at the weekend, make sure its not just come lose or anything

anyone else have any sort of idea what it might be?

turns out its just completely ggiven up on me now, all the way home from work i had to judge my speed through cameras by the guy in front. any sort of help would be much appreciated

They won't connect to the gearbox. It can't be engine speed because the ECU doesn't know what gear you are in. It will be done on a wheel speed sensor, I'd have thought.

See if you can get a new set of clocks. Theres always cars breaking on here.

been told to check the earthing for the gearbox sensor, because that might be affecting the speedo and fuel gauge.

anyone got an idea where the sensor earths to? because apparently it shares a point with the fuel gauge, which would explain why thats been acting up too.

Cheers.

Still not got my elsa installed again pall but I'm sure there's an earth point on the bulkhead and another to the back left of thengine just look for a few brown (IIRC) being held down together with a nut.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted.

Got it vag com'd and it came up a fault on the gearbox sensor... got it changed and its sorted everything

just replying to it, so if anyone gets the same fault and searches they know the fix.

cheers everyone for the help