Dead passenger window motor?

The passenger side window won't operate at all. When you flick the switch you can hear it make a noise for a second (a low thud noise) like it wants to engage but nothing happens. Do you get access to the motor from the bottom doorcard or the top? Had the top off but my hand's couldn't reach in far enough to feel anything :(

I know the car's had the window replaced on that side but that's no reason for the window not to operate, unless there's something obvious that's been done wrong.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Edited by richie.guy

my guess is the motor is fine but the mechanism is shagged, happened on my old lupo and i just replaced the one on my sport about 2 weeks ago

couldn't get the mechanism on its own so had to get the mech and motor combined (£78 from VW eek but euro car parts were charging over 200 quid apparently!)

whip off both door cards to avoid dropping the window

We had a problem in my mum's (now mine) TDi. we took off the door cards and we could hear the motor WANTING to work as you described. we took all of the brass coloured screws (i think they were 10/12mm) and so the arms/motors were flopping around, and then we pushed the glass and tried the switch and it worked, it seems that it had got stuck at the top of the stroke (like when those elbow joints on the top of firedoors double joint the wrong way.)

We then screwed it all back on and replaced the cards and it worked, just for safety.. we lubricated the arms and that with GT85/WD40 and she seems to be working well from both Passenger switch and drivers :)

richie-guy - I have just recently sorted out the EXACT same prob on my drivers side window. its a real pain in the butt to do with the window fully up (which is where mine got stuck!) but let me know if your still having issues with it and I'll run you through step by step.

I still dont know what the chuff was wrong with mine but can only assume it simply got stuck in the fully closed position, I literally had to remove the glass to sort the prob. its not as daunting as it sounds though.

• 6 months later...

richie-guy - I have just recently sorted out the EXACT same prob on my drivers side window. its a real pain in the butt to do with the window fully up (which is where mine got stuck!) but let me know if your still having issues with it and I'll run you through step by step.

I still dont know what the chuff was wrong with mine but can only assume it simply got stuck in the fully closed position, I literally had to remove the glass to sort the prob. its not as daunting as it sounds though.

Still not sorted but have a replacement mech if needs be.

Any help?