engine management issue

Sarah18082005

hugeeeee problem

(hi by the way! long time no see!)

the lupo started playing up wednesday like the clutch was going to go (slipping and a rough feeling pedal etc) parked it at work and rather than brave the ques from cardiff with a dodgy clutch, i got a tow home.

hooked it up, started the car (so i had use of power steering and brakes) had her idling and started the tow. about 10mins later i noticed it had "stalled" and i had no engine, brakes and heavy steering. tried to restart - turned over but wouldnt fire up. jump started it in 4th to be met with only 500 revs and no acceleration and a really rough running engine. took it out of gear, instant stall.

been like that ever since - its a 1.4 tdi sport lupo 52 plate

checked the fuel filter - that is fine no water in it or blockages. the head isnt gone. im thinking maybe it is an injector gone and since it only has 3 injectors in total, it wouldnt fire up on 2 if one had gone.

had it put on a diagnostic machine today and no codes came up although the engine management light is flashing on the dash (only after a stall) ie it wont flash unless you try and start it and fail.

what do you think? anyone experienced similar?

i had it booked in tomorrow for a clutch change but i think il just tell um to concentrate on getting it running first...

arggggh

• 2 weeks later...

omg.

towed it to vw on saturday and had the verdict today.

the pick up ring on the engine speed sensor on the back of the crank shaft has bent therefore the engine speed isnt being read properly therefore it wont run.

quote: £2000 for a new bottom end of the engine.

they advise me to get a new bottom end as the damage has already been done to the components so even if i just changed the parts (crank and pick up ring) it would cost a **** load in labour as its more work and it may not even fix the problem.

any ideas/suggestions? is the above correct or should i just change the parts?

help!

also, i have outstanding finance on it so unable to sell or get rid.

what do i do!?!?