PAS Leak, Safe to Drive?

Jenna

Ey Up,

My Arosa failed its MOT yesterday with a power steering fluid leak, one of the pipes is knackered (i suspected something was wrong with it anyway due to some little noises when in full lock, but as soon as I got it back yesterday it suddenly felt like trying to steer a dead horse). Anyway, as I have a lengthy commute to work everyday its not a simple case of being able to hop on a bus. I asked the mechanic at the garage if the car was still ok to drive and if i'd balls up my steering furthur by driving it. I was told as long as I kept the fluid topped up, it would be ok but there would be some strange noises.

About an hour ago we put in some new fluid only for it to pump straight out into the road and start screaming at me like a tortured witch (again, none of this had occurred before I took it to the garage!) Its all leaked out now, and Im back to the dead horse situation with no funny noises apparant.

Will I be ok driving my car on the 40mile round trip to work unitl saturday, or am I doing more damage? I dont want to end up writing it off or ending up in an m62 mangled wreck!

Ill have to drive it tomorrow until I can get insured on someone elses car, but if I can find out if im messing it up more, I can try cadge a lift instead!

Any help would be awesome, Im rubbish at all this stuff.

Thank yoouuuu!

Running the pump dry won't do it any favours - Much time without fluid will ruin it.

It's not really unsafe, just will take some steering and might feel a little unpredictable.

Personally, I'd not drive it purely because it'll bugger the pump.

Thanking you for the advice, I decided to leave it at home this week and managed to borrow my mums pimped out proton instead :wacko: Still, better than beginning the day with a 5am bus journey! :-)

Running the pump dry won't do it any favours - Much time without fluid will ruin it.

It's not really unsafe, just will take some steering and might feel a little unpredictable.

Personally, I'd not drive it purely because it'll bugger the pump.

Edited by Jenna

• 3 weeks later...